Final cut studio 2 with a Unibody 13" Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sti-R, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Sti-R macrumors member

Does anyone have final cut studio 2 running on their 13" macbook pro? the only thing i am worried about is the integrated graphics that's in the 13" MB. Right now I cannot really afford to buy a 15" macbook because of my tight Budget. how well does a 13" Macbook handle huge HD files?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

FCP would certainly run fine, but Motion and Color require a dedicated GPU. Color won't even start without a discrete GPU present.

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

Dunno if you're using an edu discount or not, but the older 2.4GHz 15" unibody MBP is only $1349 in the refurb store. That's not much more than the 13" and it's still a nice computer despite being "old." Actually, it's a great computer, I ran FSC2 on it for a while before moving back to an iMac/Air combo.

4. Steve-F macrumors member

I'm currently running FC Studio 2 on a 3 year old MacBook. It's fine for basic editing - even managed a 3 camera multi-cam edit. The one thing you should consider is a 2nd display as it's very cramped on a 13" screen. I have a 20" Dell attached when I'm editing.
    Not sure if you'll have any issues with HD stuff as all mine has been SD.
    Steve

5. semiotic macrumors newbie

cpu will be no problem, the gpu will be fine for editing, but not for colors. also, keep in mind that for hd footage, you'll need a fast scratch disk. that said, i think a refurb late 2008 mbp might be a better deal because of the screen size/expresscard/discrete gpu.

6. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Except they don't.
    I can run them fine on an old white MacBook with the intel graphics.

7. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Yeah, i've gotten color to work on a white MB (for demonstration purposes). It complains that it doesn't have 64 MB of VRAM, but just modify the minsys text file

But Color is useless on the MB because you can't monitor anything out of it appropriately.

8. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

As mentioned, Color and Motion will run fine on a Macbook. We do some field dumping and minor editing with MBs and even older G4 PBs...of course, with external scratch discs. FCP and it's related software in the bundle was created in the days of G4 Powerbooks and before the intel processors. The little Macbooks pack quite a punch these days if you compare them to what we we first using the current FCP on. You will be fine.

The only problem, as I think the last poster was eluding to, the MB screen is something to be desired (at least mine is)....maybe the new ones with the "Pro" badge on the 13 has a better monitoring screen but you will definitely need more real estate (extra monitor) if you are going to make it your editing system.

J

9. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I meant if you are doing anything hardcore you need a monitor from a video card, like a MXO2 or Kona card, and thus far nothing can interface with it since they took out the Expresscard 3/4 slot. The only thing i can think of is the MXO, but they don't make the ACD for it anymore.

10. justinnhb9 macrumors newbie

i have a MBP 13' and so far it runs pretty good. FCP is perfect on it. I havent really tested out color yet so i cant say, but overall the MBP 13' 2.53 is a stellar machine!!!

11. Sti-R thread starter macrumors member

actually i might just opt for a a 15" refurb with 512 MB of Vram. colors looks to be very useful in editing high quality videos. but the 13" are very tempting because of its small size and 7 hours of claimed battery life.