Final Cut Studio 2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nreb, May 13, 2008.

1. nreb macrumors newbie

I have a MAC G4, Mirrored door model, 1.25ghz computer. I am thinking about buying Final Cut Studio 2. What specific video cards are compatable? I see Quartz Extreme listed as a requirement but I want to make sure the model number of the video card I am going to get is really going to work. Anyone with specific recommendations/ manufacturers/model numbers etc? I am going to a computer show this Saturday and need to know what to look for.

2. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Gonna run pretty sluggish no matter what card you throw into it. I would consider upgrading your machine to at least a quad core MP.

3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

You need the ATI 9800 card for G4's.

I've also seen some hacked nVidia 7950's, perhaps just 7900's, that were on ebay. My friend who still has a G4 said his hacked nVidia wiped the table with the ATI 9800 for G4's.

Hopefully Motion will retain some resemblance of usability if you get the nVidia 7900 series.

Don't bother with the card upgrade if you want to use HDV. No matter what you do it will be extremely slow. Get a new Mac. Even the iMac will rock your G4 for HDV.