Final Cut Studio 3?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mtfield, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Hey, I've been looking to take the plunge for FCS 2 for nearly a year and I finally have everything in order to pick it up. However, I don't need it until late fall. But before taking the plunge I'm now paranoid about how long fcs2 has been out and if an upgrade is due or not? Has anyone murmur been out in our community on the subject? what has the time line been for final cut studio? Thanks a lot for any info

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Apple has always been tight-lipped about new releases. There's seldom been more than a day or two of rumors before a release.

Most of the previous releases have been at or a week before the NAB show in April ... about every other year or so.

-DH

3. Monty Pavement macrumors regular

The time between FCS1 and 2 was about 2 years.

It seems like they've got into the habit of releasing it at every second NAB, so FCS3 is most likely to appear at NAB 2009, which I think is around April.

4. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

If you're anxious to get it, perhaps you can look into buying a used copy of FCS2 (non academic) so that you can update when the new one comes out.
    I'm real big on the buy/sell used scene, haha.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you can find a used copy of a new application good luck. Most people don't sell their completely legit copies, they sell copies, so watch out... but they are out there.

I wouldn't worry too much about an update, it may not come for a while. Get the current version and get to work. When a newer version does come pay the $200 for the update.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Fixed.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Sorry, thanks for that.

8. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I still qualify for the student discounted $699 price tag... so the idea of buying now for $700 then 8 months later having to do that again just isn't too appealing. I think I will prob. just rework my schedule around a bit to have it so I don't need this software until after the expected update period. I do have to shoot a short in the coming months to submit to a festival, but I guess i will just consider it a farewell to the god awful experience of school editing labs. Thanks for all the info!

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

So academic discounted FCS2 is not entitled for FCS3 upgrade?

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

nope

11. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Correct, though the academic full price is usually about the same as the non-academic upgrade price