Final Cut Studio 3?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gskowal, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. gskowal macrumors member

    Jun 27, 2008
    So im planning on learning some video shooting and editing next year and i was wondering if its worth waiting for the FCS3 (since it's rumored to be coming out next year) or should i just get the FCS2? I`ll be getting the academic version so no upgrade price for me if the FCS3 comes out... I dont really need it yet but it would be great to start learning now.. Do you guys know anything about the FCS3?
  2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 6, 2008
    I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm waiting for FCS3.

    Though i have recently purchased FCE 4 so i could get a start on learning how final cut works.

    If your going to wait, id suggest getting FCE 4 so when FCS3 comes out, you can get right down to business.
  3. RatVega macrumors member

    Oct 14, 2005
    Southern California
    This is a classic conundrum since there is always a new version or new model coming out...

    What you may want to ask yourself is: If I wait for the new version, will I be able to afford the new model MacPro that will be required to fully exploit the software?

    We are on the verge of something (relatively) new: the point where you may no longer need or be prepared to pay for the "top of the line" NLE from Apple. This is especially true for students and casual users. My current expectation/plan is to be sitting at a 16X MacPro running Snow Leopard and Final Cut Studio 3 by mid-2009, and be down $7-10Kbucks by the same date. Being on last year's laptop isn't going to get it for the pro user, and there will almost certainly be a short list of exotic but impractical apps/capabilities for the casual user to justify. For many, FCE on an iMac may be a better solution, given that the current iMac can hold its own with everything short of a PowerMac G5 Quad.

    Each must answer the question his own way, but I stopped suggesting "maximum effort" hardware/software a couple years back.
  4. matperk macrumors 6502

    May 6, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    No one really knows about it, as usual with apple pro software. Most likely, the earliest it would come out is April during NAB 2009. The real question is, do you want to gain like 7 months experience or can you wait?

    Personally, I'm using FCS2 right now and it's great. I don't use the advanced features, so the upgrade didn't do much for me. Still not sure why I paid for the upgrade from 1 to 2. :rolleyes:
  5. JCafaro macrumors newbie

    Oct 14, 2008
    I currently have FCS1 can I upgrade to FCS3 when it comes out, or did I need to upgrade to FCS2 first?
  6. brianbobcat macrumors regular

    Aug 13, 2003
    You'll probably be able to upgrade for a slightly larger amount than if from FCS2. Currently, there's 2 upgrade options, form FCS1->2 for like $500 and Final Cut Pro, any version->FCS2, and that's like $700. It'll be interesting to see what they add to FCS2 to make the upgrade worth it. While I know many are sick of hearing it, if Blu-ray burning isn't supported from within DVDSP 5, then I'm not getting it. Simple as that.

  7. mpstrex macrumors member


    Sep 26, 2005
    I tend to agree--it's a pain to always upgrade, at least financially, but here's the benefit: new camera support.

    I had a client who is on the last version of Final Cut Pro 5.1.x, and I'm on FCP 6.0.x. They hired me to shoot and edit with the XDCAM EX1, and as it turns out, even after processing into QuickTime movies, FCP 5.1.x doesn't support the EX format.

    Now, imagine me transcoding over 635 clips from EX/QuickTime to PhotoJpeg 75 QT! It took DAYS...

    My guess is the same as everyone else's: NAB 2009. They've released full new versions every other year (99, 01, 03, 05, 07), with the exception of 4.5 being released in 2004. But that was a free update for FCP 4 owners.


Share This Page