Final Cut Studio and Compressor 3

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Millwood, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Millwood macrumors regular

I just have a quick question regarding anyone who has experience with Final Cut 2 and Compressor 3.
    It seems like a waste, but the only thing i'm interested in with the Final Cut Package is Compressor 3. It's a shame for me to have to install that entire package (which is pretty huge) if the only thing I want out of it is the compressor program. I know it's probably a waste to spend all that money on that package for 1 part of it too, but...
    Does anyone know if Compressor 3 is standalone, or if I can just install it seperately or do I need to also install FC and all the little extras that come with it. I know at one time apple used to sell it seperately. All I really want is a heavy duty video encoder.
    Thanks!

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You can indeed install it separately, and elect not to install any of the loops, content, or stuff included with the disks. I'm pretty sure FCP is a necessary isntall as well, but at only~340mb, why not?

Would I pay $1200 for compressor? No way.

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

There are other programs that stand alone that can do what you want.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

What do you need Compressor for - there are other applications that do the same.

If you have the FCS you can install just compressor.

5. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

What would you guys recommend as a solid video encoder then? I've used everything from ffmpegx to mpeg streamclip to episode pro.

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge