Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
I need to print to tape from Final Cut Studio 5.1 I have a powerbook 1.5 ghz with 1.25 gb ram and Lacie external 250 drive. I am using a GL2 as my input and a Sony deck DVC/DV as my print to source. My powerbook never sees my output source. I check all the appropriate boxes don't mirror my desktop but never have any other choice for output other than desktop main. I have tried to share from iMovie 06 and can see my GL2 as the output deck but get an error message saying the connection is broken and then iMovie crashes. I have tried booting with stuff attached changing firewire cords and different combinations to troubleshoot. Is there anyone with some insight who has solved this problem? Thank you in advance.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
you have your camcorder hooked up thru FW into the computer.

you have the DV deck hooked up thru FW into the computer.

I am not 100% positive about my answer because I have never run into this, but here goes...

If you are trying to go from the tape inside the camcorder to a tape inside the DV deck.....this isnt the way to do it, i dont think.

If you are trying to get something you have edited in FCP onto the DV deck, you have to disconnect the camcorder.

Why is the camcorder needed at this point?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Clarification

I have digitized video in the Lacie drive via the powerbook. I used the GL2 to get it into the computer. I am trying to go from PB to tape. I was trying to use a Sony DVCAM deck to print to. When this did not work I tried to connect the GL2 back to the PB and use it in place of the Sony. Nothing worked. If all I read is correct I should have a firewire 720 out option under video and audio options in FCP. I only have the cinema main desktop display option.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Try changing your RT to Unlimited, and external playback to High.

I'm pretty sure the RT setting has something to do with it.

It's in the far left top corner of the timeline window. You probably know that.

Rich.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Capture with GL2

I only use the GL2 to shoot with usually. I have a cheap conusmer DV cam that I use as my main deck. I only have access to the Sony deck on occasion.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
failsafe1 said:
I only use the GL2 to shoot with usually. I have a cheap conusmer DV cam that I use as my main deck. I only have access to the Sony deck on occasion.

Ha ha, that's what I do too, spent $50 on a DV camera as a "deck". Yeah, you probably know this, but you want to put the least amount of wear on your primary shooting camera as possible.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
failsafe1 said:

I'm still on FCP 3, so FCP 5 is a little out of my realm.

Can you output back to the DV Cam?

Do you have a NTSC Monitor hooked up to your record deck? If you can see the paly back on a monitor (or the built in LCD on a camera) you can hit the record button manually and record to tape.

IIRC you should only have one input/output device hooked up at a time.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Can't print to anything

I can't print back to anything, GL2, mini cheap deck, or the Sony DVCAM deck. The NTSC monitor does not see anything either so I can't hit record on the decks. I think the problem is I don't have a 720 firewire out option under the audio/video settings and can't seem to find one. I only have the main desktop video out option.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Problem solved?

I reformatted my Powerbook and reinstalled everything and the 720 firewire out shows up now with my audio/video preferences. I like to do a clean install every now and then so this seems to have done the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.