Final Cut Studio Cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by X-JRO, Nov 2, 2009.

1. X-JRO macrumors member

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really an EDU discount is your only hope but if you're willing to spend $4k on a camera why not reduce that and buy FCS?

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Go to your nearest premium reseller and get friendly. If you then buy other stuff you'll get reductions on certain products.

4. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

I though you could get FCP from really rando' resellers for less, I though there might be a good one everyone knew about.

Oh well, I think this is my best bet.

It's all region-free, right?

On PowerMax FCP

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

There is a way to get the latest fc studio cheap and legit. First you have to buy an old version of, say final cut 3 (not final cut studio, just final cut) off eBay or similar. Then you buy the upgrade version of the latest fc studio for $299 (I think that's the price, check apple.com)
    With the latest version of fc studio they put the same upgrade price no matter what version of final cut you upgrade from. Before it was cheaper to upgrade from final cut studio, than upgrading from just final cut.
    I know it works.

6. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure about this?!

That's pretty amazing! I've never heard anyone else mention it >_>

Just had a look on the 'bay, couldn't find much...

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

some of the bigger colleges were selling it for 299 for the whole studio .. i know my school doesnt because its very small ..

8. minik macrumors 65816

You cannot upgrade from an academic version. I bought FCP 3 Academic while back and now either I go for the eBay route or $999 for a regular licensed copy.

Interestingly, FinalCut Studio 3 Academic prices at US$899. That's only $100 saving and you cannot upgrade to the next major release.

9. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I know it works because that's what I did. I bought final cut 3 for something like $50, then I got the upgrade version of final cut studio. When I innstslled the upgrade version the app asked me to also fill in the serial number from the version I upgraded from. I did this because I'm a cameraman and don't edit much, and the full retail was a bit much at the time.

10. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Would THIS do?

11. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Yes. I even bought Final Cut 3, which is ancient. Go ahead and get that (if the price isn´t too high.)

12. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Man if this seriously work I will do horrible things for you.

Horrible, disturbing things ;)

(no homo)

I'll update you guys if this works out well.

13. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

From the Apple AU store the Upgrade is like $489 but on HERE it's $279. They're region free right, so it wont matter?

14. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I should think so since you can choose between NTSC or pal when you set up your system. And you can work with both formats at the same time
    ps. Check out dvinfo.net and the final cut forum there and you'll see I'm not the only one. Just make sure you get the serial number.

15. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

wait so does this actually work then? I know it's repetitive but it just sounds too good to be true. All I have to do is buy an old version of Final Cut (NOT studio) and then buy the latest Final Cut Studio upgrade and it works??

I'm gonna do it right away since I need it for school if it's true!

My only questions is:

A. Will an old version of FC Pro install on new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard?
    B. Will Final Cut Express work?

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yes

17. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Can anyone confirm if this actually works? I have been seriously considering purchasing final cut express 4 for $199. But, this might be a better option.

Let ask this another way. Has anyone tried this within the recent past? Apple is constantly changing these things with updates. I would hate to try this and be stuck with an older version of final cut as well as final cut studio that I can't use.

Also, is it possible to upgrade to final cut studio from final cut express 4?

18. AndTheNightmare macrumors newbie

Final Cut Studio is already cheap. Just a few years ago FCP cost $1500 for just the software, no bundled apps. However, I would rather just buy FCP at a lower rate than to pay for the whole studio.

Don't get the academic version, you can't upgrade and different versions of FCP don't play nice with each other (ie. going from v7 to v6 isn't straight forward)

That being said, Adobe Premiere is a perfectly suitable NLE for $799.

My preference is Avid and I don't mind paying $2400 for Media Composer v4.

19. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

there's no upgrade path from express to studio but you can upgrade to pro

I managed to get a decent deal on an ebay auction that came with final cut pro 4 and the final cut studio 3 upgrade for about ~$550

much better than the $1200 I would've paid from apple store :D

20. Igantius macrumors 65816

I know this thread is about the US market, but in the UK now, Apple doesn't sell academic versions of its software - instead it's the full version at a greatly discounted rate. FCS, for example, costs £253.80.

21. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If that's the case, you're in great shape because you can just keep upgrading your version (the US academic can't upgrade; nor can NFR, for that matter). Time for you to get into the re-seller business. :D