Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Hi guys, i have a FCS and i need to do a custom install since my HD doesn't have enough space for all of the extras. From this thread, it tells me to install FCS on my main drive and any extras on my external drive. However, i'm not given a choice to custom select the location of my extras... I tried just installing FCS first to my HD (unchecking all extras), and then going back again after installation's finished to see if i could select my external HD to install the extras, but that's not feasible.

How do i exactly do a custom location install?

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
You could just install the whole thing to your external drive, no ? It doesn't matter what drive the apps are on, they will still open even if they're not in your boot drive's Applications folder.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
You could just install the whole thing to your external drive, no ? It doesn't matter what drive the apps are on, they will still open even if they're not in your boot drive's Applications folder.

Nope, it won't allow me to install it on my external HD.

KidCharlemagne

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Emeryville, CA
Hmm are you sure there's not a way to designate a custom install path? I've done this exact thing and I remember being able to designate a path in the installer...take a closer look and maybe it's there somewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.