Final Cut Studio Install?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TaKashMoney, Jun 8, 2007.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a mac with final cut studio and am planning on purchasing another Mac shortly. I plan on transferring over all files and programs from one mac to another with this upgrade via firewire and would like to know if it is possible to transfer over the entire studio in this fashion or do i absolutely need to do a reinstall with the disks?
    Thanks!

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Quick question that I'm sure you've already thought about...

...did you buy two FCP licences?

3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Why would you not install it freshly? All you need to transfer is the project file, your prefs and the media, unless it's on external drives.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Assuming you have two licenses, a fresh install by far the best way to go. You can use Media Manager in FCP (File -> Media Manager...) to gather all your audio/video assets into one folder for easy transfer from one computer to another.

5. D ROCK macrumors regular

unless of course you are not planning on keeping the old mac and you will be deleting FCP from the old one... then you would only need the one licence...
    but yeah I would still recommend doing a clean install as well.

6. TaKashMoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes, sorry for not specifying. I am wiping the old one clean and giving it to my sis. Clean install is the way to go then... What are the benefits of disk install.. because it seems like an easy swap? Almost like drag and drop, no?

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

FCS also installs a few services, like the one Compressor uses to batch compress files. Basically, a drag and drop would not give you a complete install.

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Migration Assistant works great. I've had no problems with Migration Assistant and Final Cut Studio. Migration Assistant is convenient too.