Final Cut Studio - student price question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isethx, Jul 30, 2009.

1. isethx macrumors regular

So FCS is $999 dollars and the student version is $899 dollars- and as far as i know you can NOT upgrade if you buy the academic version... correct me if I'm wrong.

So why would anyone buy the academic version or this program??

I thought the old FCS was $1,300 or so, and the student version $600, so that makes sense.

I'm going to buy soon... so any reason i SHOULD but the academic version?

2. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Sounds like you're getting ripped off. The Student version in the UK is £249 compared to the full version which is £799

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Reasons to buy the full version:
    • You aren't a student.
    • You expect to upgrade when future versions come out and buying a whole new academic version next time will cost more than paying $300 later to upgrade.
    • Somebody else is paying for it.
    • The Academic version has a license restriction that applies to your situation. However, from what I've read, there's nothing different except that you must be a qualifying student. In other words, there's no restriction on what you can do with the software, even using it for commercial work.
    Reasons to buy the student version:
    • You're a student with no plans to upgrade the software to future versions, so you might as well save $.
    • You're a student who might upgrade, but saving $ now is more important to you (a starving student).