Final Cut Studio Upgrade Eligibility

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by seracious, Jul 30, 2009.

1. seracious macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have an overly cautious question as I consider upgrading from FCS 1 to the new version. Basically, should I be able to tell if I have the Academic Version by checking the About Final Cut Pro display?

I know it sounds silly to ask this but I got to FCS by buying an Academic version of Motion back in '06 when there was a deal to then upgrade to the full Studio inexpensively. I believe it's the full, Non-Academic version. My discs read "Crossgrade" and the versions but no mention of upgrading in the future. My About Final Cut display reads the version (5.1) but doesn't mention Academic, so I think I'm in the clear.

Of course, I haven't upgraded the OS from 10.4 but that's a different issue. I just don't want to buy the upgrade and then learn that the Academic status isn't clearly noted and I have to start from scratch. Yes, I should know my gear better, but I haven't edited on my own system in a couple years, and have let this area of expertise slide.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I upgraded to Studio v1 from Soundtrack Pro on what I think is the same offer you did. The set of disks I got say "crossgrade" as yours do. I got the upgrade to FC Studio v2 a couple years ago and it installed without issue, and I've just received v3 an hour or so ago (have not installed yet, maybe tomorrow if I have time). I suspect that you should have no problem upgrading....oh yeah!

3. seracious thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Duff Man! I figured as much given all that I've read, but it's comforting to hear someone went through the same process.