Final Cut Studio Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueSquidDoug, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BlueSquidDoug macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new here on the forums, my name is Doug and I look forward to talking with you all!

I have a question about Apple's Final Cut Studio upgrade. (To upgrade to FCS 3 from any previous version of FCS or FCP) I'm not sure if this will work, probably just because it seems like I'm saving too much money.

Could I buy Final Cut Studio 2 from eBay, install it, then use the Upgrade to get Studio 3?
    It seems too good to be true, but I think it'll work.

Another question - The academic version of Final Cut Studio can't be upgraded, but Apple.com also has a Government employee store. If I purchased Final Cut Studio 3 from there would it be eligible for the upgrade when a new version is released?

Thanks so much! I hope the question makes sense!

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

This I would love to know. I'm allllmost positive I was able to upgrade from Final Cut Pro 4 to FCS 2, but cant remember exactly.

You're right, seems too good to be true..

3. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

You could buy Final Cut Studio 1 or 2 and upgrade to 3.

You can also do it from Final Cut Pro 4.

4. MarkSliced macrumors newbie

MarkSliced

From Apple:

"The Final Cut Studio upgrade provides an upgrade path from Final Cut Studio 2, Final Cut Studio 1, Production Suite, or any prior version of Final Cut Pro. Academic and Not-For-Resale (NFR) versions are not eligible for upgrade."

5. BlueSquidDoug thread starter macrumors newbie

But my question is - would the upgrade still work if I bought a pre-owned version of FCS, from eBay for instance.

If I buy FCS 3 or the FCS upgrade from the Apple government store, can I still upgrade? (Is it the academic version?)