Final Cut Studio upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mighuel, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mighuel macrumors member

Hi, guys!

I just recently bought Final Cut Studio 3 license from my local Apple reseller and I got a 3% discount as I'm a student. I naturally thought that I'll be able to upgrade my version to the next version with a lower price. Is there a difference between student discount and Academic version of Final Cut? I believe I'm using the retail version but I'd like to be sure. It feels pretty frustrating and stupid to pay full 'round 1000€ again when the next major release comes out as I really didn't save more than a few euros with student discount. Is there a way to determine what version I'm currently running? I know that Final Cut usually displays that info in the splash screen and mine says none.

Thanks in advance!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If it doesn't say you have the academic version then you have the retail version as far as I am aware.

3. Mighuel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I think so too. I've seen Academic version running a few years ago and it stated in the splash screen what version it was. Don't know if Apple has changed that but it's hard to believe..