Final Cut Studio, where to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fikeies, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Fikeies macrumors newbie

Anyone know of a "better" meaning cheaper place to buy Final Cut Studio. I'd hate to drop a G at the Apple store when I can buy the same thing on eBay for less than half that....

Any experiences?

Thanks in advance

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Years ago I purchased a copy of the Final Cut Pro Production Bundle (the precursor to Final Cut Studio) off eBay w/no problems. What you have to watch out for are people selling burned discs, copies of FCP that are non-upgradeable (such as academic versions), upgrade-only versions, and people selling all ready registered versions (which could make future upgrades and/or tech support difficult).

Ideally what you are looking for is a full retail discs that haven't been registered. You might have a better chance of buying an older version, such as Final Cut Studio 1, and the buying the FCS3 upgrade from MacMall which sells it for $250 (reg. price is $299).

Lethal

3. Nwanda macrumors newbie

Nwanda

A few months ago, I looked into buying Final Cut Studio. After checking around, I decided that B&H had the best price. I don't know if this is still the case, but I do know they are very reputable. As per the eBay thing, that is probably going to be the cheapest option. I wouldn't worry too much about getting screwed over as long as the sell is well rated with a lot of previous sales. If this is the case then you should be fine.

4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

5. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

If you can get it at a pretty large school's (like a division 1 university) college bookstore then it'll be cheapest there...about $300. Of course you don't get upgrades with the academic versions, but I'm pretty sure it'll last you a few years either way. I did that with Logic Pro 8 and got it for $165. No upgrades, but it's way more than I need at a price I could afford.

6. danimal99 macrumors regular

What I did was bought Final Cut Pro 4 HD on ebay for a pretty cheap price, then bought the upgrade on Amazon for Final Cut Studio 3 a few months ago. I think my total cost ended up being about $400 and some change. All I had to do was type in the serial number.