Final Cut Studio, where to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fikeies, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Fikeies macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2010
    Anyone know of a "better" meaning cheaper place to buy Final Cut Studio. I'd hate to drop a G at the Apple store when I can buy the same thing on eBay for less than half that....

Any experiences?

Thanks in advance
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Years ago I purchased a copy of the Final Cut Pro Production Bundle (the precursor to Final Cut Studio) off eBay w/no problems. What you have to watch out for are people selling burned discs, copies of FCP that are non-upgradeable (such as academic versions), upgrade-only versions, and people selling all ready registered versions (which could make future upgrades and/or tech support difficult).

Ideally what you are looking for is a full retail discs that haven't been registered. You might have a better chance of buying an older version, such as Final Cut Studio 1, and the buying the FCS3 upgrade from MacMall which sells it for $250 (reg. price is $299).

3. Nwanda macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2010
    Denver, CO
    A few months ago, I looked into buying Final Cut Studio. After checking around, I decided that B&H had the best price. I don't know if this is still the case, but I do know they are very reputable. As per the eBay thing, that is probably going to be the cheapest option. I wouldn't worry too much about getting screwed over as long as the sell is well rated with a lot of previous sales. If this is the case then you should be fine.
  4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2007
  5. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    If you can get it at a pretty large school's (like a division 1 university) college bookstore then it'll be cheapest there...about $300. Of course you don't get upgrades with the academic versions, but I'm pretty sure it'll last you a few years either way. I did that with Logic Pro 8 and got it for $165. No upgrades, but it's way more than I need at a price I could afford.
  6. danimal99 macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2008
    What I did was bought Final Cut Pro 4 HD on ebay for a pretty cheap price, then bought the upgrade on Amazon for Final Cut Studio 3 a few months ago. I think my total cost ended up being about $400 and some change. All I had to do was type in the serial number.