Final Cut Studio Workflow

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xmacprox, Aug 20, 2009.

1. xmacprox macrumors newbie

I'm in dire need of some advice. I've been using Final Cut Studio on my Mac Pro for over a year and am quite comfortable with it. I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro so I could tackle a lot of the video editing when on the road.

Is there a way I can export a low-quality version so it can be easily edited on the MBP, and then I can sync up the changes back to the Mac Pro (where the large high quality video files are stored)? I edit a lot of footage that's in HD and the laptop would crawl in comparison to the MP. I briefly heard something about the ProRes format but am not too familiar with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

If you use the Final Cut Media Manager, by right clicking the sequence that you wish to send to the MBP, you can select recompress and export to a hard drive or straight to the MBP via target disk mode (firewire).

Great way of doing it and then you can re-import it and re-link to the full res files.

3. xmacprox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! Where do you go in Final Cut to reimport the edited footage?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you just copy the project file back and reconnect to the hi-rez media