Final Cut Studio

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Intel Inside, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

i want to run final cut studio on an iMac. The specs of it are:-

2.4GHz
    1GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    Bought Sept. '08

will i be able to run final cut studio and all the optional content on my iMac?

Ps, I've just ordered 4GB of RAM to instal.

Edit:- forgot to ask, would i benefit from a second monitor, any recommendations?

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

It will run Final Cut fine, DVD studio Pro and compressor as well.
    When it comes to Motion and Color I´m not so sure, they both put a lot of strain on the graphics card. What card is in your iMac?
    I had the first 24" iMac with 256 GPU and I could use motion, but it didn´t run perfect. Dropped frames in playback etc

3. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine has the ATI Radeon HD 2400 with 128GB VRAM. So do you recommend that i use Final Cut Express until i can afford maybe a Mac Pro? or use Final Cut Pro on my iMac and live with it?

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hard to say. It depends a bit on what you will use most.
    If you are mainly editing, using Final Cut, you will be ok on your iMac. If you want to do a lot of 3D stuff, you need a better machine.
    With the price drop I think I advice you to just get FCS and skip express if you have the money.
    I used my iMac for 2 years and it was only lately I got into a bit of graphics etc. It takes time to learn all this.
    We got the MP for rendering speeds etc.
    What footage will you edit? I presume nothing too heavy as you are starting out?
    I edited HDV and XDCAM EX HD on mine without problems.

5. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, im editing HDV & standard def. stuff. at the moment i use adobe premiere at school, and ive used iMovie, but i want to use what they do in the "field". I think im going to use Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and Color mostly. Do you recomend a second monitor fo color?

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Depends on how much you want to spend - cheap options is the Dell 2209WA, which should be coming back soon. Basically in a monitor for colour-accuracy, the very minimum is that it displays 8-bit colour nativly , which means *VA and IPS panels. TN panels are 6-bit native and dither for the rest of the colour gamut.

Personally I am going to pick up an NEC 2690WUXi for Color in a few months.

Also, what's the rez on your HDV tapes?

7. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Dr. Pants for the advice, the res on my tapes is 1080i

8. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

No problem. Just curious on the HDV, is all.

Also, I have to second going for FCS and dropping FCE. IMO, having all the stuff means that it is a lot more fun to figure out how to use it, as compared to Express, which is a seriously cut-down version.

9. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again Dr. Pants, I'm going to go for FCS, and i might get myself a new external HDD

10. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

A Firewire 800 external HD as a scratch disk is highly recommended. Keep FCS on your main disk.

11. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

My Exact plan, already have a 320GB FW800 hooked up, but ive filled it up fairly quickly, so im looking at one of those 2TB Western Digitals :D