Final Cut supporting iSCSI and Fibre Channel

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robemich, Mar 18, 2010.

1. robemich macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm trying to work up a design using 2 iMacs for capture only and one Mac Pro for editing.

Because the iMacs are only going to be doing capture, my initial thought would be to connect them to disk via iSCSI. Then connect the Mac Pro via Fibre Channel. Initially the content will all be NTSC SD, but I would like to engineer this to scale to HD, and scale to multiple capture and editing workstations.

I know this requires me to get look at a non-blocking Gigabit Ethernet switch for the iMacs to connect to, unified storage that support iSCSI and Fiber Channel, and possibly a fibre channel switch for connecting multiple editing stations when the time comes.

I'm interested to hear from anyone that has done something similar to this. Thx.

-mike

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

most of the ethernet setups I've read about would do it the other way around... Mac Pro as the server/storage controller and the iMacs as the end stations. you can read about it on CreativeCOW.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and being your own tech support there is a pretty complete guide here on how to build your own ethernet base SAN.
    CreativeCOW: Build your own San

If you would rather just get to work and not spend your time building and supporting your storage there are companies like EditShare and Small Tree that do things like this for a living.

Lethal