Final Cut to Compressor to Youtube???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Audivid, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Audivid macrumors newbie

Here is my issue; I shot a virtual tour of a home for a real estate agent and she wanted me to post it on youtube. The problem is that, after uploading the tour it is very choppy and does not play well at all. I tried to compress it even more but it still was choppy. My first upload was about 125MB and my second upload was 350MB and both were choppy no matter where I viewed the video at, whether it be on my mac or on a pc. Should I export a larger file (say 1-1.75GB) to get a smoother picture. i know that im not gonna get the picture that I get when I go from the camera to my tv HDMI but I want to get as close as possible.......Sony HDR-SR8- AVCHD Footage-Final Cut Pro 7-converts to Pro Res 442- Export Quicktime movie- import into Compressor, convert to h.264 1280x720

Any solutions? here is the youtube link to the tour... Also, does it matter on the type of usb cable (are there better ones that others) that i use to import footage to cpu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LojR3wpfVN8

Mac dual core intel xeon 3GB
    THANKS

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It plays well for me on my iMac with a C2D 2GHz and 4GB RAM in Mac OS X 10.6.3 and Safari 5 and Flash 10.1 beta and a 1.8MB/s download speed internet connection.
    I can watch the 720p HD video in Flash and also in its native format via ClickToFlash without choppiness, but one can see a small difference between the original .mp4 file (fluent) and the Flash embedded video (small hiccups, really small, barely noticeable).

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yeah, playback is smooth on my end as well. Seems like it's an issue with your machine or internet connection.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

The pans seem a little jerky. Is that specifically what you are referring to? It reminds me a little of a frame rate change.

Compare the YT result to the video you uploaded and to the original edit to gage when the problem appears. Also, let the video fully load before making any comparison because the players have issues when they are still downloading video.

5. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

compared to the original it is definitely different. Very choppy. Should I lower the frame rate? and on a pc its even more choppy

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

lowering the frame rate will only make it choppier.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

You Tube says to not mess with the frame rate. If your project is 30fps than leave at that, if is 29.97, then leave it at that, etc.

8. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

i just noticed that every clip that I slow the speed on or used the smoothcam video filter is very choppy. Why is that?

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Well when you say "slow the speed" how are you doing that? And with what type of source footage?

Because if you're taking something like 24fps or 30fps and slowing the playback speed in Final Cut to something like 80% or lower, then you're essentially lowering the framerate. And lowering the framerate would give you choppier looking footage.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, it would be the reverse of what you said. Slow motion requires more frames, not less (less would be fast motion).

But anyway, by applying a slow-mo effect to a clip in FCP, it essentially has to interpolate additional frames that were never present in the video to begin with - and often, depending on the video codec, it can cause unwanted artifacts. For that reason, it's advisable to capture slow-mo with the camera itself, provided it's capable of doing so.

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

But Final Cut doesn't really do interpolation like other software solutions. It merely repeats frames. Frame blending can hide it, but the results of using it usually aren't very good.

So while technically it doesn't mean a lower frame rate, when you change the speed of a 30fps clip to 50%, you're essentially playing back those same 30 frames over the course of 2 seconds. Final Cut just repeats frames to fill the added time. So it's sort of the equivalent to 15fps.

12. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that probably sums it up for me. The camera that I use (Sony HD HR-8) shoots 29.97fps and I lowered the speed to 75, sometimes 60%. My camera doesnt have a feature where i can shoot in slow motion (wish it did) so I guess that I will have to take my time and go slow.