Final Cut Will Not Recognize My Canon HV20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jmnem21, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jmnem21 macrumors newbie

I am newer to Mac and I am just getting started in Final Cut. I am using Final Cut Pro and I have new Imac with a 2.8 Ghz processor. When I open up Final cut it shows the typical window that says that the "Apple Firewire NTSC" is missing but my camera is plugged in, on, and I am using a firewire cable. The camera works fine on Imovie but my problem only occurs with Final Cut. I am just starting with Final Cut and so I figure I just need to check something in the "preferences" window.

2. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I had the same problem with my wife's HV20, a few months back. Seems that it was a pull down menu in the prefs that had to be set for generic camera input. Cant check till I get home.

3. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Perhaps you need to select Easy Setup from the menu? Well that's for FCE, anyway.

4. jmnem21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried looking for the "generic camera input" in the user preferences menu and I couldn't seem to find anything. I also tried the "Easy Setup" and I am still receiving the same "Unable to locate" prompt. Thanks for the help so far!

5. jmnem21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have continued to search all over for some type of pull-down menu for to connect my HV20. Is there anything that anyone can think of to help me. i am planning on getting a Canon XH A1 next week and I just want to make sure the same thing is not going to happen then.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

in your easy setup don't setup for DVNTSC, you need to setup for HDV at 60i, since the HV20 and HV30 are HDV camcorders.
    If it's set up for DV NTSC and you try to capture hdv footage the camera won't communicate with final cut pro.

7. shootsnladders macrumors newbie

Ah thank you soo much "thedarkhorse", I'll try that suggestion. It's something that's been bothering me for 2 years. I bought a Canon HDV camcorder to use with my older iMac and FinalCutExpress 4, but it never worked unless I reformatted the camcorder to operate on regular DV settings which was a complete waste because if I didn't want HD quality picture I wouldn't have spent the extra thousand on an HDV camcorder.

8. Daniel Arroyo macrumors newbie

Yeah do exactly as stated above.

Go to easy setup, and where it say's "use" select the option (HDV-apple intermediate codec 1080i60) and that should cover all of your importing issues!