Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
London
I was just wondering if anyone here runs final cut with 2 screens and if it is worth it, productivity wise?
As all the windows seem to fit nicely onto the 1 screen setup.
thanks

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone here runs final cut with 2 screens and if it is worth it, productivity wise?
As all the windows seem to fit nicely onto the 1 screen setup.
thanks

For me it's a must, especially when doing color correcting and you want your scopes and frame viewer up large and your video at full res. It takes a while to get used too two screens but i won't go back, on large projects having the browser full screen is the only way to go.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
better yet just have two 30" :) That way you can see your HD clips coming into the timeline and the timeline full size with out needing a studio monitor.

VideoTour

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
New Mexico
You can never have too much screen real estate (twin 30" 's would be far beyond sweet, but just a touch on the pricey side, huh?)

I have several options preset (beyond those FCP already offers) under the Windows/Arrange function.
One I've titled "Big Browser" and the other is "Big Timeline."
Dedicating a full monitor to either of these views makes working with large projects and many, many bins (Big Browser) or elaborate multi-track timelines (Big Timeline) so much easier.
I often find myself shuttling between the two views on large projects.
And when I'm working on the MBPro I really notice how much I miss the two screens.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
You know, I thought that when I got the 30" I wouldn't need two screens, but I find that it is always better to have more space.

What I really want is a 4K native screen so I never have to worry about things fitting in one space.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I only have one screen right now, and I am still capable of editing. However, like everyone else said, it's so wonderful to have that extra screen for a finder window, web browser, timeline, color balancing. It is hard to go back.

Suprami X

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006
I have 2 screens with my G5 and wish I could add a second to my iMac, just to chuck the extra rubbish off onto.

I recommend the two.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Would you all mind posting pictures of your set ups with dual monitors with Final Cut open.

Preferably have the windows in Final Cut set at your favorite preset.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.