Final Cut X licencing?

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
How does the licencing for Final Cut work? If I buy it now, do I have the licence forever with perpetual free updates?

Or do the licences only last a few versions?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
How does the licencing for Final Cut work? If I buy it now, do I have the licence forever with perpetual free updates?

At some point Apple will probably release Final Cut 11, and that will most likely be a separate purchase. We don't know, though, because there's only been Final Cut Pro 10 in the App Store and all updates have been free so far.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. I figured they'd eventually update it to a new paid version, but then I checked online and learned that FC10 is already 6 years old.

In any case, I held off buying, wondering if they might release a new version after High Sierra comes out, or perhaps with the release of the iMac Pro.

I guess I'll wait a bit longer. I don't need it right away. Truthfully, I mainly just wanted something more flexible than iMovie initially, and then over time want to learn more with FC. I don't know what Apple was thinking, but iMovie's oversimplification has made it basically unusable.

Note, I'd be getting the edu package, so it's only CAD$259 (US$200) for the entire pro suite.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks. I figured they'd eventually update it to a new paid version, but then I checked online and learned that FC10 is already 6 years old.

In any case, I held off buying, wondering if they might release a new version after High Sierra comes out, or perhaps with the release of the iMac Pro.

I guess I'll wait a bit longer. I don't need it right away. Truthfully, I mainly just wanted something more flexible than iMovie initially, and then over time want to learn more with FC. I don't know what Apple was thinking, but iMovie's oversimplification has made it basically unusable.

Note, I'd be getting the edu package, so it's only CAD$259 (US$200) for the entire pro suite.
No real reason to wait, especially if you can get the student package.

Reactions: hefterl

hefterl

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Vienna

I think they fight against the competitors, and keep the updates free after first buy. Maybe they do a payed speed extensions for the new imacpro specifications?
[doublepost=1499788710][/doublepost]I think they fight against the competitors, and keep the updates free after first buy. Maybe they do a payed speed extensions for the new imacpro specifications?