Final Cut X licencing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EugW, Jul 11, 2017.

1. EugW macrumors 68010

EugW

How does the licencing for Final Cut work? If I buy it now, do I have the licence forever with perpetual free updates?

Or do the licences only last a few versions?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

At some point Apple will probably release Final Cut 11, and that will most likely be a separate purchase. We don't know, though, because there's only been Final Cut Pro 10 in the App Store and all updates have been free so far.

3. EugW thread starter macrumors 68010

EugW

Thanks. I figured they'd eventually update it to a new paid version, but then I checked online and learned that FC10 is already 6 years old.

In any case, I held off buying, wondering if they might release a new version after High Sierra comes out, or perhaps with the release of the iMac Pro.

I guess I'll wait a bit longer. I don't need it right away. Truthfully, I mainly just wanted something more flexible than iMovie initially, and then over time want to learn more with FC. I don't know what Apple was thinking, but iMovie's oversimplification has made it basically unusable.

Note, I'd be getting the edu package, so it's only CAD$259 (US$200) for the entire pro suite.

4. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

No real reason to wait, especially if you can get the student package.

5. hefterl macrumors newbie

I think they fight against the competitors, and keep the updates free after first buy. Maybe they do a payed speed extensions for the new imacpro specifications?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    I think they fight against the competitors, and keep the updates free after first buy. Maybe they do a payed speed extensions for the new imacpro specifications?