Final Cut X Project Timeline Missing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mbbarnett, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mbbarnett macrumors newbie

Important question for anybody who knows a thing or two about the new final cut. I have spent the last few weeks cutting a trailer for a film that will be premiering soon at festivals - lot of color correction, sound organization, etc. I finished the trailer up yesterday, exported several .mov, then shut the program down.

When I next opened FCP, my event, along with all my original clips showed up in the library (as usual)...but my timeline/sequence was GONE - asking only to create a new project. Went into my hard drive to find my final cut project folder, but it was now empty - as was my autosave vault. Even my presets, color corrections, and filters were untouched...just that **** project/timeline nowhere to be found.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? Usually I'd let it slide and just cut a new trailer...but too much time went into this project to lose it (and no...I did not accidentally delete anything. Even used Stellar Phoenix to double check and it found only video files from a while ago).

Any help with this would be extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Did you check the Trash bin? You might accidentally have moved your project there

3. mbbarnett thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean the macbook trash bin? If so, then no. Didn't move anything to the trash. Really out of ideas here

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not sure how the project file went missing. Did you try spotlight search to see if it showed up somewhere else on your hard drive? If it really is gone, one workaround to get you back up and running without starting completely over is to simply import one of your .mov trailer exports into the event, and then drag that into the timeline and work with that video, making cuts where edits need to be applied. Good luck.

5. mbbarnett thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, did the spotlight and everything. No FCPs, no autosaves, etc. Just a bunch of emptied folders. Thanks for your help, though.