Final Cut X root drive space issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jonnysods, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey all, my new setup to be will be a 120gb SSD drive as my root drive and my 750gb drive in the optical bay enclosure.

I'm having some issues with finding the right info about a work around for not importing video onto the SSD, but just the HDD. I turned off 'import into Final Cut Events Folder' as an experiment on my HDD, but it still places the footage into the Final Cut X Events folder on the root drive.

Has anyone had experience with this? There has to be a way to point this away from the default folder. I know that this isn't FCP7, but I would love to know a way to do this.

Thanks all.

2. hsilver macrumors regular

You can definitely choose where you want to put your Events folder when you import media. I think the Projects folder can remain on the boot drive. The render files in Projects are for thumbnails and waveforms so not very large.

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I'll try it out thanks. Just wanting to protect my coveted drive space!

4. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

The render files can take up a lot of space. Especially if you color correct and it has to render the whole clip, your storage space may take a hit on your SSD. I have the same setup and just have both my projects and events folder on my 750gb drive in the optical bay. It all really depends on how long and how many projects you are working on at a time. For example, right now my events folder is 176GB, my projects folder is 96GB. One project that is over an hour long and has color correction taking up 50GB+.

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Getting ready to do the same setup in my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. How do you like your "SSD Boot/HDD in the optical bay" setup?

6. mBox macrumors 68020

You can trick your system to use the root first.
    Then move the Final Cut Events and Final Cut Project folders in the top root of any drive (good drive that is).
    Then delete the original folders off your main.
    When you boot up FCPX, you would see your root but no projects/events are on it.
    I have to deal with that all the time with personal/work and even when I teach FCPX at local college.

7. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I love it. It makes me want to upgrade though to a quad core because I know that the dual core I have is the only major thing slowing me down during editing. I might upgrade my early 2011 13" mbp to the high end early 2011 mbp. I'd maybe consider getting a 256gb drive next time with the price drop recently if you watch for good deals regularly. I'm fine with the 128gb, but it would never hurt to have more flexibility with space.

8. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

So it was no big deal to get FCPX to keep it's data on the 750? If so that's gonna be great. I have a 120gb, going to do a fresh install once my optibay turns up on the scene.

9. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

No not at all, it's all done in FCPX. Once you have both hard drives installed they will both show up in the events and projects area inside FCPX. Once they are there you can just click and drag an event that is on your SSD and move it to your HDD and it will copy it. The same thing goes for the project library. The other thing to be aware is if you want to create a new project or event, make sure you HDD is selected instead of the SSD. Also, be aware that once you drag a project/event from your SSD to your HDD, although it will appear immediately, you have to give it time to copy over so don't delete the project/event from your SSD.

If you view your HDD in finder, you will see there will be two new folders: Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects with all the media inside the folders. I'd double check it's all there before deleting the original project/event on the SSD in FCPX.