Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
If Final Cut X is purchased from the Mac App store or brought at the time of buying a Mac from Apple, (on their website for £299) is it limited to 1 Mac only? or can i also download it on my iMac/Macbook Pro? i currently have iMovie but eventually want to upgrade to Final Cut X.

Also for those that have the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Final Cut X, do you like the Touch Bar features? one of my friends really likes Final Cut X on the Touch Bar, i wonder what the general consensus is.

thejoshhoward

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know the official rules, but I've had FCPX installed on two machines at the same time without issue for a few years now.

FCPX has some cool touch bar features. I use it mostly to scrub through footage.

Reactions: Dave245

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If you choose to preinstall it on a new Mac, it should transfer over to whatever account you first sign in with on the new Mac. Then, like buying it normally from the Mac App Store, you'll be able to install it on your other Macs using the same account, visible under the Purchased tab.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
If you choose to preinstall it on a new Mac, it should transfer over to whatever account you first sign in with on the new Mac. Then, like buying it normally from the Mac App Store, you'll be able to install it on your other Macs using the same account, visible under the Purchased tab.

Thank you, I wasn’t sure if it was limited to just one Mac. I didny really want to have to pay for it twice, either way it’s £299 here in the UK so it costs no more to get Apple to install it on a new Mac than it would if I brought it from the Mac App Store.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Installed FCPX and Motion/MainStage/Compressor installed on my iMac and rMBP and 2012 Mini Server (with Compressor also on the Mini). No issues whatsoever.

Chiming in here to offer that I loaded up on discounted iTS cards and used that credit to make my purchases, although I'm not sure if that's an option for you. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.