Final decision! Which 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sommer, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Sommer macrumors member

Hey people,

I found out I really want the 15" MBP, but I am jumping (and struggling) a bit around between the different models.

My use will be:
    - Writing (they will all do the same for me at that point)
    - Internet (none is better either)
    - Very little video editing (720p - maybe 1080p) (only a little! Not every week)
    - A LOT of photoediting in Photoshop and general use of the complete Adobe package

I would like a nice GPU, as I believe more and more programs benefit for it - I suppose that is correct? This is why I considered to get the:

- 2.66 GHz
    - 4gb memory
    - 320gb (upgraded to 500GB)
    - 256 mb 9600 graphiccard

HOWEVER! I don't want to screw things up just to saw a few hundred bucks, when I already have to spend thousands. So!

Would it make a difference for me to go to the:
    - 2.8 GHz
    - 4gb memory
    - 500 gb
    - 512 mb 9600 graphiccard

Or would that just be stupid?

Help me out, which one should I choose?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Get the 2.8GHz version, it's great for your needs. But if you need to save money, the 2.66GHz is fine.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.66 will be fine for you, but if you have the money get the better one of course. 2.8GHz has 6MB of L2 cache and that may speed thing up. Money you spend now comes back when/if you sell it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that the 2.66 one would suit your needs just fine.

5. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know there was a difference in the L2 cache!

Thanks both of you. I will call my brother and tell him my needs to get the faster one! ;) - He is definately in need of returning a huge stack of favors from helping his company! ;)

As software I will buy:
    - iWork
    - Aperture 2

... and if they **** around (e.g. on letters) I also have my Office 2007 on my regular laptop (which will be put in a drawer). So I will be safe in the compatility matters (Is that actually a problem at all with iWork?)

-----------------

Uhh, and then of course the complete Adobe package! That is really cheap as long as I am a student *wuu*

-----------------

I do have a small Apple remote, I will also buy the MiniDVI -> DVI... hmm anything else I should consider?

6. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

But would I actually feel a difference?

I know that the 2.66 can do the same more or less, but do I benefit from having the faster one? Would I - if sitting next to a guy with 2.8 etc. - be able to see a difference, and would it be something disturbing for me? (you know what I mean?)

7. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

I don't need that. I have an insurance which covers for the first four years of a product (100% whatever or whoever does anything). No need to spend money on more care products, as my insurance company does that. ;)

I can actually by accident destroy my flatscreen with my vacuumcleaner, and a few days later I will have a new one. I like that! However a thing like that (complete destruction) costs around 70$ everytime.