Final Desicion. 13" MacBook Pro 2.25 or 2.53 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarsalan2006, Jun 17, 2009.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

Hey All,
    i just sold my macbook white 2.4 ghz 4gb ram in order to buy the new mbp.
    so here is the thing, i will be using this for college, mixing music and djing, but the thing is that i dont really care about the memory cause i keep everything on an external hard drive .
    so which one do you guys recomend ?

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

2.26GHz and upgrade to (3rd-party) 4GB RAM, 7200RPM HD.

That's the best deal, you can use the rest of the money you would have spent on the 2.53GHz model on music gear :)

3. bhadoc macrumors newbie

From what people have been saying, you buy the fastest processor speed you can afford, because it cannot be updated later on. Really, the performance difference between the two is negligible and it probably isn't worth the cost. It seems to be the best bet to buy the 2.26 and upgrade HDD and ram yourself..unless money is not a factor.

4. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

2.26 it is
    the thing is that will there be an observable difference between the whitebook 2.4 i had and this one ?

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Honestly, why do people create these types of threads? You already know the answer to your question. If you have to ask which one then obviously you are considering the higher model so get it. How could you possibly go wrong? Getting the higher model will future proof your machine, create a higher resale value and obviously perform better.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Nope! Speed wise, the computer will feel just as fast as even the oldest Macbook and Macbook Pro's. The only time you'll see a difference is in rendering things (3d video games, autocad, audio, etc). the GUI will feel just as it does now.

7. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do people like you like to start a fight or something in a thread ?
    if you really have nothing to say, then ..........Thanks

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same reason we see a ton of other threads here, if the thread doesn't suit you, don't post. Obviously this is important to the OP and it doesn't hurt to get advice, especially given the high price of laptops.

9. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You are wrong on these models. They are limited by bus speed and not by processor speed. So no amount of "future proofing" will help. The new MBP is a lame duck and will go down as such in history. Next revision please. If you are buying one then go for the less expensive one and update it on RAM and drive space.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For 300 dollars you're getting a slightly faster CPU, 4 gig of ram and a 250Gig 5400rpm drive. You can take the same 300 and upgrade to a 500gb 7200 rpm drive, and 4 gig of ram. The only difference then is the slightly faster CPU and I don't think you're going to feel the difference in this case.

Get the cheaper Mac, and upgrade the MB yourself.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh, I wholly disagree. It may not be your cup of tea, and the specs may not be to your liking but its anything but a lame duck. Its a great machine with great specs, especially since apple re-added the FW ports to the 13" model.

12. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

The proof is in the benchmarks. NEXT!

Added: You realize that next revision is in 9 months right?

13. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

disagree....how many people on MR have been bitching for years for a 12" or 13" MBP (me included)??...i just glad we finally have one...i bought the 2.53 and got it today...i'll use it and if I like the next revision maybe I'll sell this one and get that one...if you are able to buy using the EDU discount and sell the free touch and printer you won't lose much when you resell this machine in the future (I also got 5% cashback through discovercard).

14. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

It's not Pro with the lack of speed. Put in pop terms "it's not snappy enough". It's a nice computer for home use and as a surfboard but it's limited by design and is never going to be "future proof". Let's not fool our self here. Get the cheapest one .

15. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

how does the weight compare between the 13" pro and the MBA? is the 13" pro easy to carry for long periods of time.I went to the apple store and was weighing the 13" pro and it seemed fine weight wise i guess.but they didnt have the air to compare.

16. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

13" MBP Weight: 2.04 kg (4.5 pounds)
    13" MBA Weight: 1.36 kg (3 pounds)

It's a personal one, the weight AND the format is different. MBA have more "ooh" but it's not for me due to ports ands such.

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

I've owned both (MBA and uMB). To me it's about what bag I use.

When I use my backpack the uMB is fine. But when I use a small bag hanging on my shoulder (Tucano workout) the uMb is heavy.

When I got the MBA it was much more comfortable hanging on my shoulder as it did not cause any strain.