Final desision-Reinstall from Lion to SL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by alexycl, Jul 24, 2011.

1. alexycl macrumors newbie

After these dates experienced on Lion, I felt disappointed on this new OS at this moment.
    Due to:
    - iCal sync problem to MobileMe
    - Slow boot up
    - Applications respond slow

I would upgrade to Lion until wait for all bugs fix solve...:mad:

2. iGrouch macrumors member

I hear your pain. But I would not give up on Lion just quite yet. Read this thread regarding boot times:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194587

I have not deployed Lion myself on my main drive. This is the first time in eleven years that I have not installed a new version of OSX on the day of release. But the reason is, that I have just got snookered for the first time where there are just a few little things that won't work right in my workflow until Apple or a third party vendor offers a solution for Lion. My work practice dictates that I need the stability and reliability that I know is extant in 10.6.8

As for the boot times. If you have read the thread I linked to you will see that folks who have done some very thorough cleaning up and even wiped and clean installed to their HDs are getting better millage in terms of boot times. I was considering the same approach, which would have been a complete reformat of the HD and then re-install everything again (I usually do this) but I was getting lazy and had planed to do just the simple upgrade that Apple wants us to do. After reading the linked thread I am swinging back to the long haul wipe and clean install for when I eventually jump to Lion.

The other thing as you will see is that Apple optimises all aspects of a system as it matures with the incremental updates. Expect things to settle down towards 10.7.3/4. As I mention on the other thread the best surprise in terms of OS speed bump was the release of Tiger 10.4.11 Coming from 10.4.10 the boot and shut down times increased incredibly. Tiger 10.4.11 still boots faster than anything thing else on my Mac Pro. It beats the Leopards and Lion as it is currently hands down when booting. Even on my old G4 PowerMac 10.4.11 will boot faster than Leopards and Lion on my Mac Pro. Tiger may not of had all the bells and whistles that OS X has now but in terms of stability, for me it comes out best. You can take it that with the dawn of the iphone, apple has taken their eye of the ball with the main OS. Apple have moved more and more into the space of selling to consumers making the OS a little bit more difficult for pro users.

That being said, these hiccups are liveable with considering all the new features that are on offer with the release of new OS versions. The other thing is that Apple designs for the hardware they are selling now and in the future; that's the business they are in. Sometimes we have to embrace the Apple (Steve Jobs) way.

One thing you should do is feedback to Apple at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

If apple gets enough feedback it can be enough to persuade them to row back, wether it is in an update soon or lees desirably in 10.8 or 10.9

I send Apple feedback all the time (they won't read my complaints on here). For example I think the nav Back/Forward buttons are a bit too grey making it hard to judge when the Back button is telling you that there is a previous page.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I don't get the obsession with boot times. . . . 45 seconds, 60 seconds . . I would understand if it were 5 minutes . . .

I am much more interested in performance while I am using the machine. I have noticed Lion to be a little snappier than Snow Leopard. The Application Stack used to hesitate when I click on the utilities sub-folder. It hesitates less now. Overall I am happy with Lion. I agree it need some things improved, like the Spotlight indexing thing but that will come likely in 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 hopefully.