Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Kauai, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Hey all.

I've always loved all the Final Fantasy games and as I haven't played an MMORPG in a long time I had decided to buy FFXIV and jump into the genre again. 'Alas, after I'd bought it I realized the June 23rd release date wasn't just for the expansion, - but also for the OS X client! Doh! :p Which I guess is both good and bad, since I'll be able to jump into the game right as the new expansion comes out.

In the mean time I was wondering if anyone else here plays this game, your thoughts, and maybe direct me to some resources I could brush up on while I wait?

Also, I do have a gaming mouse but how playable is this game with only the trackpad out of curiosity?

2. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

I couldn't imagine playing FFXIV with a trackpad or pretty much any game, though I guess it's possible...stick with the mouse imo. YMMV.

And yes, looking forward to the mac release. Will be curious to see how well it's wrapped. But keep in mind, you'll need to buy the Mac combo pack if you plan to play on a Mac since the licenses are platform specific. You won't be able to hop right onto the mac client if you only own the pc version. Far as info, you can probably google nearly any questions you'd have, as well as gander at their official website.

Just be prepared for some lulls as with most games at max level. If you ever played EQ, you'd understand when I say it has a tendency but it's a visually stunning game with a great storyline and you'll be able to fly in a few weeks which is pretty exciting and gives a little more depths to the game.

3. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. I'll make sure to stick with my mouse then.

And yeah, I really dislike having to launch into bootcamp for gaming so here's hoping it'll be a stable release. I have an xbox One so console is sort of out, hah. Have you played the game with your 2015 MBP yet? If so, what resolution/graphics quality have you been able to get?

The youtube videos/trailers/guides I've been looking at make it look pretty fun so I'm looking forward to it, and I'm the type to play it in short sessions so if the level cap is being raised to 60 in the new expansion I should be fine content-wise.