final HD setup questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thedommer, Feb 19, 2008.

1. thedommer macrumors regular

NEW CONFIG!!!! FEB 22 08
    Based on reading lots of posts I came up with this. I'm still not quite sure of a few things. Not sure which should be scratch disk. and if im logically using the 5 drive option properly. I have so much data its hard to juggle. I ditched the Raptor because I hear they are loud, old technology and the new seagate 7200.11 is almost as fast (if you get the proper firmware). I also dont know how I will put in the 5th drive. anyone know where I can find info on this?

320 GB ------------
    OSX (and thats it. nothing else - makes for a fast reformat if needed?)

500 GB Seagate 7200.11 - PARTITIONED ------------
    HALF for windows VISTA + programs,

OTHER HALF for OSX programs/User files - so OSX drive is clean for fast reformat if needed and programs will be snappier when opened from this drive. This drive would also be the main scratch disk because once a program is open it is in ram and is no longer using this drive so it "should" be free for a fast scratch(correct?).

2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11 RAID - PROJECTS
    (Audio, Design, Video) this will also include a massive photo collection and a extensive mp3 collection. because its not a scratch disk this shouldnt get boged down. I will ONLY be listening to mp3s when NOT doing audio work. so only while doing design work or other stuff.

500 GB ------------
    Sample libraries (BFD, Kontkt stuff etc - basically all audio samples should take up most ofthe 500gb) this would also be a secondary scratch disk(photoshop) because I dont do audio work when Im using photoshop so this drive will be just sitting around during that time.

1TB EXTERAL
    Time machine

------------------------------------------------
    PREVIOUS CONFIG IDEA
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ive asked a few questions before. here is my final questions about the hard drive setup. I'm thinking of getting 2 drives. one Raptor and one 1TB drive (along with drives I already own).
    This is the setup Im thinking:

320 GB ------------
    OSX (and thats it. nothing else - makes for a fast reformat if needed?)

150 GB RAPTOR - PARTITIONED ------------
    half for windows VISTA + programs,

the other half for OSX programs/User files - so OSX drive is clean for fast reformat if needed and programs will be snappier when opened from this drive. This drive would also be the main scratch disk.

500 GB ------------
    Projects (Audio, Design, Video) this will also include a massive photo collection and a extensive mp3 collection. because its not a scratch disk this shouldnt get boged down. I will ONLY be listening to mp3s when NOT doing audio work. so only while doing design work or other stuff.

400 GB ------------
    Sample libraries (BFD, Kontkt stuff etc - basically all audio samples should take up most ofthe 400gb) this would also be a secondary scratch disk(photoshop) because I dont do audio work when Im using photoshop so this drive will be just sitting around during that time.

1TB
    Time machine

--------------------------------
    ------------------------------

Please let me know if this is logical. Im trying to find a way to fit everything I need onto 5 drives. I may have to use one more external at some point. But for now this seeeeeeems logical. I should have my mac pro by this weekend or during the week at the very latest.

is the Raptor necessary? I heard they might be a bit outdated and not actually that fast. am I logically setting up everything as it should be?

Is there a way of adding a 5th drive into the case? that way I can seperate the photos and music into a seperate drive... I have a 300 GB thats fairly new.

Thanks

2. McGiord, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

everythign to the time machine....

I dont need to back up my samples drive.

4. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else? thoughts? This takes a long time to setup so I just want to make sure im doing it right.

Im also trying to figure out a logical configuration with RAID. I dont know if I need it but it might help loading times if I use raid for projects. However maybe its better to use raid instead of the raptor?

5. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

bump!

hoping people could take a look and see how logical this is. my main issue is trying to juggle just having 4 internal drives. Id like to throw raid in there somewhere but for the amount of stuff I have it just might now work. I dont want to have any drives sitting outside the computer (other than time machine) if possible.

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

It doesn't make sense to Partition the Raptor. The drive is already small and why would you want to mix Mac and Windows stuff on such a small drive? Remember that you don't get the full 150 GB. Yes, you can add a 5th internal HD using the on board ODD SATA connector. You'll need to do some surgery with your Mac to get to it though.

7. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

well if with the raptor I get 120 gb. partitioned thats 60 each. that is fine for software I think. might be a bit small.

what are your suggestions? The only reason im leaving the OSX OS drive on its own is so that if it gets corrupted or messed up its an easy reinstall. is that logical? maybe I can just put all the OSX programs on there to and then make that the 150 GB raptor....

from what ive been reading apparently the new seagate 7200.11 rpm(with the newest firmware) drives are pretty much the same speed as the raptors.... if this is true it might be better to just use that?

what do you mean by a little bit of surgery? and will I have heat issues with a 5th drive?

8. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

changed my config idea. please see top post. all replies are VERY welcome.

9. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Forget the Raptors, they are crap drives compared to current technology.

11. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

This is my setup on my Vista PC box so maybe there is something in my setup that might be worthwhile checking out.

Local Drives
    C: drive -Fujitsu 74GB 15,000RPM U320 SCSI drive (System and application)
    D: drive -Fujitsu 36GB 15,000RPM U320 SCSI drive (swap and temp)
    E: drive -Samsung 250GB SATA drive (games, virtual machines and work space)
    F: drive -Samsung 250GB SATA drive (System images and work space)

Network mounted Drives or volumes (residing on my server)
    S: drive -Webserver
    T: drive -Downloads
    U: drive -Software - Application installers, Drivers, software updates..etc
    W: drive -Fun stuff (funny vids, jokes..etc)
    X: drive -FTP server
    Y: drive -Music (MP3 and FLAC encodes of my CDs)
    Z: drive -Home folder / My Documents

The server which stores all my data is a dual PIII 1.2Ghz with 2GB RAM, 73GB 10K SCSI boot drive, 9GB 10K SCSI swap and four 500GB SATA drives. The important data gets backed up weekly to a backup server which is a PII 400Mhz box with a 36GB 10K SCSI system drive and two 500GB SATA for data storage. This includes my home folder, webserver content, Software and music.

Power consumption is about 260W for the two boxes, router and a swith which is quite high for 24/7 operation but I host my own mail, ftp and web so its nice to have a second box which can act as a near mirror image of the first. The servers are on a 1400VA UPS and my main box is on a 1000VA unit.

The servers also get used as game servers for when friends drop by maybe once every 3 months for some lan gaming.