Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budachild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
So I happen to change my passcode often. Recently I bought an iphone 6 plus to replace my 5 with.

But I still use my 5 ironically... This week I forgot my pass and am at the 10th final try. I believe I remember

it now finally but don't want to take a chance at the phone being wiped, or having to restore with a very old

back up that would still make me lose a lot of new pics, notes, numbers, and more I forgot to input/store

on my new iphone 6 plus.

What am I to do? I have one final try, is there a way to extend tries or some software that'll find my passcode?

I'm pretty sure "wipe device" is disabled on my iphone 5, but if I fail a last time I'll lose heaps of new info and data

if I were to do a restore from failure to get in my phone. This is what happens when you have more than one mobile!

I'm very knowledgable with computers and can try any advanced methods if someone can point me the right way.

Please help my iphone 5 info:

- Version 7.1.2 (11D257)

- Model MD295C/A

- Modem Firmware 6.02.00

Thanks

budachild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
The wipe feature is off. Connecting to a computer tries to ask me for a passcode when iTunes is launched.
I change it often because ppl are always seeing my input my pass and I leave my phone laying around.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well I am afraid you are out of luck as this is a security feature to protect the data on iPhones.

Best of Luck.

Yeah, agreed. I never change it, so I just keep it the same 4-digit code as my debit card. Unfortunately I can rarely remember the debit card one, so I remember that because it's the same year as the Battle of Hastings. Sadly I rarely remember when that battle was, but luckily the year of the battle shares the same month and year that I was born. However, I don't remem... wait, I think I've said too much.

Reactions: AndrewR23

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah, agreed. I never change it, so I just keep it the same 4-digit code as my debit card. Unfortunately I can rarely remember the debit card one, so I remember that because it's the same year as the Battle of Hastings. Sadly I rarely remember when that battle was, but luckily the year of the battle shares the same month and year that I was born. However, I don't remem... wait, I think I've said too much.

LOL! I have used the same code for year but am careful when I punch it in that no one is watching. I VERY seldom leave my phone laying anywhere except when I am asleep .

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I'm not trying to sound snarky, but there are two lessons to be learned here:

1) Backup your data often. Not once a month, not once a week, as often as possible. When you get your mess figured out, turn on iCloud backup to do automatic backups. Don't complain about the price of iCloud storage as it is worth it to actually have your data backed up.

2) Make your passcode something memorable, and be careful where you are using your device.

budachild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sooooo... did it work?
I want it to work but I'm afraid to input the code I believe to be the correct one because it's my last try!

It's a gamble. I swear I read somewhere theres a program that can search for your passcode somehow in DFU mode.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Do you have iCloud
I want it to work but I'm afraid to input the code I believe to be the correct one because it's my last try!

It's a gamble. I swear I read somewhere theres a program that can search for your passcode somehow in DFU mode.
backup turned on? If so it would be a fairly recent backup of your device providing the wifi was on and powered.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

You're not going to get help hacking into the phone if that is even possible. Try the passcode that you think it is, if you get it wrong you aren't any worse off than you are if you keep it forever without inputing the code.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
"The wipe feature is off." Connecting to a computer tries to ask me for a passcode when iTunes is launched.
I change it often because ppl are always seeing my input my pass and I leave my phone laying around.

Since you wrote that the wipe feature is off then inputing the wrong passcode locks the iPhone for I believe 1 minute allowing for another try. your iPhone will not be wiped and not be restored. The simple answer is to input your passcode.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not even Apple can get your passcode, so I doubt there is software out there that can.

Like above poster said. If you don't have the wipe after 10 enabled then you can keep going with attempts. With time limits placed between attempts growing and growing with each fail. (I've heard of people hitting over a day waiting period.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Connecting to a computer tries to ask me for a passcode when iTunes is launched.
I've just tried this and it let me back up without my passcode. The only thing I can think of is that you're not using the same computer that you did your previous backups on - try using the same machine.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
As the above poster said Touch ID doesn't work with the iPhone 5. Plus I'm pretty sure that if the OP's phone had Touch ID it wouldn't be working for some reason...

Do I detect a note of cynicism there ?!!
Surely the OP wouldn't be fibbing about this problem ?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Do I detect a note of cynicism there ?!!
Surely the OP wouldn't be fibbing about this problem ?
Usually when threads like this come up after the OP answers enough questions their answers start getting mixed up and it becomes obvious that the phone they are trying to get into wasn't theirs to begin with. I suppose it is always possible that it is actually legitimate, but these kinds of threads rarely are.

Reactions: TechGod and chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.