Final Predictions for New MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamyoshida, Feb 11, 2008.

1. adamyoshida macrumors regular

My final thoughts, going in:

1) Only one standard clock speed in all of the 15" models - the 2.5 Ghz one.

The 2.6 Ghz model costs $214 more for minimal benefit. It'll be offered as a BTO option - and probably come standard in the 17".

2) The cheaper and more expensive 15" models will be differentiated by the more expensive one coming with 4 Gigs of RAM standard, versus 2 Gigs on the cheapest one (hey, RAM is dirty cheap these days) and by hard drive size.

3) 64 Gig SSD as a build-to-order option.

4) Keybord goes to MacBook-style backlit, like on the MacBook Air (it's clear that Apple likes this design and wants to standardize around it).

5) Magnetic latch.

6) Video cards remain the same or pretty much the same. Possibly a bump to 256/512. Or even 128/256/512 (17" or BTO).

7) My final prediction - and which runs contrary to some indications:

Price cuts. Remember, this is an Apple fan forum - and even many people here recognize that the MacBook Pro is probably overpriced when compared to other prosumer-type machines (which, basically, is what the MacBook Pro is - one can't really compare it to business-oriented or rugged machines, which have very different purposes).

Based on the threads here, and my own pushing around, it seems that the present line of MacBook Pros are priced over thier PC counterparts (I'm thinking, in particular, of the T61 ThinkPads and the XPS M1530, which seems to have been discussed a fair bit around here) by at least $500. Really, more, since many of those price tests don't take into account the savings which might be attained through buying after-market components.

For example, I could configure a 2.4 Ghz T61 with 4 Gigs or Ram and a 200 Gig 7200 RPM hard drive for about $1700 (these are Canadian prices, FWIW).

Same goes for the XPS, which actually does better than the ThinkPad in this regard.

Now, Apple doesn't have to - and won't - cut prices to the level of Dell. But, they could move closer to the Lenovo/IBM level. Not all of the way.

I see the entry-level Pro at $1799 (or, in other words, the same price as the Air - I've switched to U.S. prices now).

So, in other words, we end up with something like:

Basic 15" Config:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz
    2 Gigs RAM
    160 Gig Hard Drive
    NVIDIA 8600M GT With 256 Megs of RAM

$1799.99

Upgraded 15" Config:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz
    4 Gigs RAM
    250 Gigs Hard Drive
    NVIDIA 8600M GT With 512 Megs of RAM

$2299.99

17" Model:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz
    4 Gigs RAM
    250 Gigs Hard Drive
    NVIDIA 8600M GT With 512 Megs of RAM

$2599.99

Also, I don't think that resolution bumps are out of the question. The high-resolution panel might come standard on the 17", and perhaps the 15" would either get higher resolution as a BTO option or, alternatively, on the upgraded model.

Those are my thoughts/predictions.

2. JWest macrumors 6502

Here's my predictions:

- No significant case redesign, IE:
    > Magnetic Latch
    > Likely an updated keyboard
    > Infra-red sensor hidden better (Maybe along the optical drive ala Mac Mini)

- Penryn Procs
    - Updated Vid cards
    - Larger HDD's
    - Slight Price drop
    - RAM upgrade will cost slightly less, but still be a rip off :p

So... here are my predicted specs:

Basic 15" Config:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz
    2 Gigs RAM
    160 Gig Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3600 128MB

$1999.99

Upgraded 15" Config:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz (2.6 BTO)
    2 Gigs RAM
    250 Gigs Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3600 256MB (512MB BTO)

$2399.99

17" Model:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz
    2 Gigs RAM
    250 Gigs Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3600 512MB

$2699.99

Basically, I don't think the update will be terribly significant on the outside, but fairly big on the inside.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea here's a prediction:
    It's not happening tomorrow.

(I've been waiting since September and I wish Apple would prove me wrong, but I just don't see it with the Professional/iPhone event coming up sooner or later)

4. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Like u said, its an iphone event.....not a MBP event. Its tomorrow, bet the house !!!

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I agree with that. Here's another prediction: We'll see ten billion new "anticipation" threads before it does happen.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This guy wins, end the thread now!

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Agreed.

8. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Didn't you hear? They're cancelling the MBP and replacing it with the MBA.

9. JWest macrumors 6502

Oh come one guys, it's a friggin' rumor site forum. Just play along ;)

10. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

IF the MacBook Pro doesn't get updated tomorrow, then I have a pretty good bet the Time Capsule will be released. This is my prediction.

11. tuneman07 macrumors regular

Just curious, but why is 512mb video card a "possibility"? This is something that has puzzled me about Macs when every other company on the planet has had 512mb video cards for a looooong time now. Not a huge deal breaker for me but something I don't like not having.

12. JWest macrumors 6502

It costs more and (as far as I know) requires a bit more power, yet only gives you performance differences at high resolutions. Still, I don't know why they havn't put the option in before- these are professional laptops after all.