Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbell86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
The Final Question! (before i click "Add to Cart" ).

I know this has been asked many times, but i'd like an opinion specific to what I plan on using this system for. I am a graphic design student looking to buy a new 2.4ghz MBP and want to know whether the 5400rpm or 7200rpm is a better fit.

Looking to...
1. Graphic Design
2. 3D Modeling (Maya, etc)
3. Programming
4. Animation (Flash, Motion...)
5. Light Video Editing
6. Gaming (WoW at the moment, but interested in upcoming SC2, Crysis, etc through Bootcamp -> non360 titles)

*For heavier video editing, I can use more powerful towers on campus

Does anyone see me having problems with the 5400 rpm drive? How much more future proofing does the 7200rpm get me? I am literally without a computer at the moment; is there really a 4 week wait on the 7200s? Vote your pick! Thanks
(And again, apologies on the same old arguments...) :eek:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm fine with the internal 5400RPM hard drive on my MacBook Pro. Although you might want to check here for some benchmarks of 7200RPM vs. 5400RPM hard drives for the MacBook Pro if you're really worried about it.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
At the time that I ordered my stock 15" 2.4GHz model, the shipping times for the BTO 160GB@7200rpm hard drives were 4-6 weeks. I couldn't wait so I figured if I felt I needed a faster hard drive down the line, I'll buy and install one myself or have an authorized Apple technician do the install. If you can wait then I'd elect to go with the faster hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.