Final Questions about purchasing an iMac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by faffoo, Nov 4, 2008.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have been saving for an iMac for about a year now. I am 14 and am so excited. I have a few questions before purchasing.

1. Is there no chance what so ever of an update to the iMac before christmas? If so is there likely to be one in Jnuary (MWSF 09)?

2. Am I worth waiting for the next update or do I just go for it?

3. When I buy should I buy from the Apple Online Store or a Apple Retail Store?

4. What upgrades can you do on your mac when you go to buy it through a Apple Retail Store?

5. Do you have any outstanding recomendations or warinings on my proposed purchase (below)?

:apple::apple::apple:

Proposed Purchase

24" iMac Entry Level Model
    Upgraded Hard Drive to 500GB
    Wireless Mouse Upgrade.

I also plan to buy iWork in the new year. That brings me on to my final question:

6. What are the chances of new versions of iLife and iWork at Macworld? If there is a new version coming what new features will it add?

Thanks in advance.
    :apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I bought iWork when I bought my new MBP but I wish I could return it. It isn't bad but the compatibility with MS Office just isn't good enough for bringing in lots of files. The Export to PDF, which I use a lot, also isn't very good.

I'd recommend checking out OpenOffice (you can try it out on whatever platform you have now) -- it is free and feels more powerful. iWork isn't bad, per se, but it isn't like either Office suite.

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I know iWork isnt as powerfull as Microsoft Office but I want to get iWork because I like the look of Keynote. That is obviously your oppinion but I like it.

What would you say to my other questions.

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Fair enough. I don't use Keynote or Powerpoint, so our needs are different. I'm on my first mac myself so I'm not qualified to answer the rest.

5. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Thanks. This will be my first Mac aswell. Out of interest what mac did you get and with what spec. Do you have any regrets?

6. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hey I'm 14 too!

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you, I want to buy a iMac but I don't know whether to just buy it now or wait until MacWorld.

I would say that any update in January would just be a speed bump and so it is not really worth waiting for. However if it is a design change then that would be really bad as then you would have the old version of the iMac.

It really just depends on what you will be using the iMac for. If you want a really fast one for gaming or high-end applications then you should wait if you can.

However you have been waiting a long time saving up and you want one as soon as you can so I would say just buy it, that's what I'm going to do. My advice is to get a refurb to save a bit of money.

Also iMacs hold there're price quite well so you could possibly sell it on eBay or to a friend if you really want the new iMacs when they come out.

7. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool

I am going to buy brand new because I want the feeling of having a brand new Mac. What upgrades are you going to do to your 24" model.

8. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I've been using PCs for 24 years before this, so it was a big change. OS X is great; better than I expected. I only wish keyboard shortcuts were the same across applications like Photoshop... things take me 3 times as long because I only know some keyboard shortcuts and not where things are buried in menus.

Oh yea I got the base model Macbook Pro; upgraded the RAM in the store since it is nearly the same price as doing it yourself and then it is covered under warranty. I upgraded the hard drive myself since I already had a 7200 rpm drive in my previous laptop that I moved over. I always get machines on the low end of the processor scale since that is the best value and then make sure it has enough RAM and HD speed. If I were you, max out the RAM but stick with the base hard drive. In a year or two you can replace it with an SSD and give the machine a new hit of speed.

No regrets! My machine was perfect unlike the complaints registered here but that is to be expected as people look for a place to vent.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

1. No chance of an update before Christmas. I'd say that means there's a pretty good chance of an update at MWSF.

2. That's a tough call. Sounds like you don't really need it, so you might be happier waiting.

3. The main difference is there are fewer customization options at the retail store. I'm not sure you can get the configuration you want at the apple store.

4. You can't really do upgrades at the Apple Store. They have a few stock models to choose from and you have to pick from what they have.

5. Looks good. A lot of people aren't big fans of the mighty mouse, so you might consider going with a third-party mouse (search the forums for suggestions). Then your corded mighty mouse could be a backup. Another possibility might be to get the standard HD, then buy an external HD which can double as a backup -- offers more versatility.

6. I'd say the chances are pretty good. But it's anyone's guess what new features will be added. I disagree that OpenOffice is better. If you don't need Open Office's extra features, iWork is a much slicker, easier to use package.

10. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I suppose you could always get Office for OS X but if Apple's main piece of business software isn't that compatible with Office documents, it will probably turn off other switchers like myself. The MS Doc imports and exports were sad from iWork. OO retains styling much better when exchanging docs with those who work in Office.

I do agree it certainly is a simpler and easier-to-use interface than either Office suite, but if seamless compatibility is important, you might not be pleased.

11. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hi I'm going to upgrade the Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse to wireless. Also I will be purchasing Final Cut Express as I am buying the iMac mainly for making and editing videos.

12. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. I dont think it will be to big an update.

I really really want to get this thing. I am so excited.

I heard you can upgrade ram (not what i want to do). Surely they would be able to replace a wired mighty mouse with a wireless mouse in store.

Do you know what these stock models are roughly.

I love the mighty mouse. I cant see what the fuss is about with these mice. I think they feal really nice. Also in the new year I am goign to purchase a external hard drive to use as a Time Machine drive.

I agree, I am deffinutely going to buy iWork in the new year.

Thanks in advance.

13. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Yeah I agree. I love the Mighty Mouse. It looks so clean and the scroll ball is so cool. I've only used it in the Apple Store though so I don't know how well it lasts for though.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't know about the mouse or what the exact models are. Apple's website suggests you just call your local store.

15. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you give me a link to the page that explains this please.

Thanks