Final Specs!! In the cart, just need convincing or opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtp8513, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I currently have this in my cart, ready to check out, just want anyone's opinion:

# 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    # 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 256GB Solid State Drive
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
    # Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    # AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll

Thanks everyone on this board- you guys have been really helpful...

2. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I'd say you're golden except for the Glossy Display, good lighting makes it a pain, go for the Matte, it's much better/more versatile.

3. keithano macrumors member

Pretty good and same as what I am going to order..
    but don't forget to order 8gb ram from third-party vendor :D

4. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the Glossy display versus antiglare today... I didnt love how the antiglare looked, it seems somewhat dull, but if its truly much more functional, then maybe i should consider switching? any other opinions?

5. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I'm going with the Glossy just b/c I think it looks better.

6. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I've used both extensively and I prefer glossy myself. It's all personal preference.

7. keithano macrumors member

To each its own.. I am a pro. photographer and I am sold on matte.. can't stand the glossy making the color to vivid and the glares are disturbing in terms of my studio that I am in.

8. Walt-az macrumors newbie

13" vs 15"

I need to get a new MBP and really like the 13" size (using 15" right now).
    This is my work computer SO no games, BUT I do connect to a 27" monitor and use Adobe InDesign, MS-PowerPoint, etc which switch the graphic to higher res.

Do I really need the AMD Radeon HD graphics for Adobe InDesign OR will the 13" work okay?

Thank you...

9. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

You can also buy anti-gloss (matte) screen protectors too, I've read about a few good ones one here. My macbook arrives Monday and it's glossy, so if I decide it's hard to see then I may buy a matte screen protector

10. Jaimi macrumors regular

Exact same specs i ordered earlier today. People give the glossy screen grief, but the colors are brighter, and things just look better. I recall when the first glossy screens came out, and you had to pay through the nose to get them, and everyone ragged on the matte screens. Guess you just cant please some.

11. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

That's a hell of a computer - but I would buy and install the SSD yourself. Once you get past 128GB, Apple rips you off.

12. rjbruce macrumors regular

No, but you may consider the i7 over the i5. Really either should be fine though.

13. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered the beast... and for kicks, i took the upgraded shipping option. whats 18 bucks if you have just spent 3 gs =(

14. tcador macrumors regular

Congrats!

15. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.. just out of curiosity, is apple care actually worth it?

16. eaf7s macrumors regular

17. egglybagelface macrumors newbie

I'm actually looking at getting the exact same thing, so instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd just piggyback off this one.

I'm looking at the same specs (except maybe a 500 gig 7200 rpm HDD)...the thing is, I also have this extra 10% discount (so about $220). I noticed that upgrading RAM now costs way less than it used to (only $180).

Would it make sense for me to use the discount to upgrade the RAM to 8 gig? Or should I just save money? Would the performance be that much better? Or gong another way, should I use the cash to get the HiRes matte screen? I plan to be doing video, photo, and audio editing on it, and maybe some mainstream gaming.