Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I've enjoyed discussing the Apple Watch with you all over the last week, but there's not much new for anyone to say and the whole thing has driven me a little crazy. So I'm off until 10th April, when I'll be back to tell you all about how I ordered my SS with Milanese loop as soon as the online Apple Store let me. And then again on 24th April to share my unboxing story! And then again in October (?) to explain why I definitely won't be upgrading to the Apple Watch 2. And then again in March 2016 to discuss which Apple Watch 2 I'm going to get.

Final thoughts . . .

1. I think Apple is going to bank on making a lot of money refreshing the line-up of straps. Radically changing the watch itself may well alienate a lot of people, though perhaps they can afford to do that. But they can certainly eke more money from us by offering us new and exciting straps to refresh our watches, and at lower cost that replacing them. I'm already planning on getting the black leather loop.

2. Even if I had the money I wouldn't buy an Edition. I like the look of yellow gold (though not rose gold) but the strap choice is so limited. Do you really want a solid gold watch with a rubber strap?

3. I think Apple has left money on the table by not designing a charging stand. The existing solution is clunky. I expect to see one later in the year. I know I'm nuts, but I'm not a fan of pairing non-Apple products with Apple products.

4. Talk of screen protectors drives me crazy. I've never bought a screen protector for any Apple product and I've never scratched the face of any of them. I even ditched the case for my iPhone 5S. iPhones (and the Apple Watch) are beautiful, beautiful things. Why would you cover them up? If you were dating a supermodel, would you make her wear a bag on her head?

See you in April!

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Been telling my friends as well. Just don't see Apple creating new Apple watches every year.

I understand we all want more battery life, but Apple hasn't improved battery life in their iOS devices in a while. Don't see them all of a sudden figuring battery life out next year for a new watch. They could....but they haven't.

And as far as sensors go, I feel Apple gave us what they could give us today. We are probably a few years away from the sensor technology we all were hoping for.

Because Apple has dedicated themselves to all these bands makes me think they are committed to THIS version of the watch for at least two or three years. A thinner watch I would assume (obviously could be wrong) the attachment port for the bands would have to change. In the grand scheme of things that may not be such a big deal for the richest company in the world, but it just gives me a bother reason think This version of the watch is a two year commitment.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Been telling my friends as well. Just don't see Apple creating new Apple watches every year.

I understand we all want more battery life, but Apple hasn't improved battery life in their iOS devices in a while. Don't see them all of a sudden figuring battery life out next year for a new watch. They could....but they haven't.

And as far as sensors go, I feel Apple gave us what they could give us today. We are probably a few years away from the sensor technology we all were hoping for.

Because Apple has dedicated themselves to all these bands makes me think they are committed to THIS version of the watch for at least two or three years. A thinner watch I would assume (obviously could be wrong) the attachment port for the bands would have to change. In the grand scheme of things that may not be such a big deal for the richest company in the world, but it just gives me a bother reason think This version of the watch is a two year commitment.

While it's true that the battery life on iOS devices hasn't improved, they HAVE gotten thinner. Meaning Apple is doing the same with less. I expect the same thing to happen with the watch. Overall battery life will remain about a day's use, and the watch will get thinner.

I remember somebody showed that the watch body can be made somewhat thinner while retaining compatibility with the current watch bands. So I think the watch could get progressively thinner for 2-3 generations, and there will be a band redesign maybe in about 4-5 years down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.