Final Verdict on the new DVD player?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bzollinger, Jan 27, 2008.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Can someone running leopard give me a verdict on the quality of the new dvd player? :confused:

I watch .vob files from video_ts folders almost daily. I'd say that 70% of what my mac does is provide a video source for my home theater. The video quality of the tiger's dvd player is terrible when viewing it on a 7ft screen. :eek:

My options are to upgrade to leopard or sell my dual 2.0 G5 and buy an intel based mac so I can watch movies from windows.....:rolleyes:

Upgrading is way cheaper and much less hassle so I want to go that route if it's worth it. However spending $130 on an upgrade to have little or no gain would be a big bummer.

Any advice here?:cool:
    thanks,
    BZ

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems with Leopard's DVD player, although I do use VLC a lot for movies.

3. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

It's good to know that leopard's player hasn't given you any trouble.

I'm hoping someone will chime in with comments more like this:

"The new player in leopard is WAY better than tiger. My movies actually look good now."

or

"The new player in 10.5 is nothing special compared to 10.4.x, don't waste your time and money."

Anyone have some an impression for me?

thanks,
    BZ

4. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

5. robby818 macrumors 6502a

AVSforums is a great reference for this type of question. IME, the DVD player deinterlaces much better than previous DVD players. I still think computer/software DVD players do not perform as well as "real" DVD players but the one in leopard is at least watchable.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The only problem with Apple DVD Player is the silly disabling of screen shots. :mad: