Final word on FAN numbers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomegun, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

Did anyone get a final word on the FAN numbers with an iPhone 3G? I'm talking about the monthly service, not the device itself. It just seems like many AT&T employees, in stores and CSRs, weren't real clear about this. I guess that isn't a surprise seeing how clarity isn't something that goes along with this whole ordeal.

I think it is a shame that with a month between the announcement and the release there are so many problems. IMO, this really makes Apple and AT&T look like they don't know what they are doing.

2. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have another question. Are the rules for adding additional lines the same as accounts concerning what happens if you cancel the line? Also, if someone wanted to add a line, would the person using the additional line have to be present and (obviously) different from the person on the original line(s)?

3. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Prior to getting the iPhone (and switching from Verizon) an online chat rep told me the FAN discount would apply to both voice AND data, specifically for the iPhone 3G.

In store (AT&T) on launch day, the salesman also confirmed the above.

After getting the phone I checked on the AT&T My Account page and saw the FAN discount for voice, but not data. I called customer service and the rep claimed FAN discounts were not eligible for the iPhone.

So no, there's no clear answer yet, and if I get billed without the FAN discount for data, or worse, both, I'm breaking my contracting and there's no way I'm paying the ETF. Assuming of course, I don't decide to return the phone anyway because of the anemic battery.

4. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I don't know about your second question, but FAN discounts do discount your monthly service if you have an iPhone 3G. They just don't work for the first gen iPhone.

5. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You will NOT get your discount on the purchase of your phone. You will get your discount on the monthly service.

6. MM07 macrumors 6502a

So, I will get get my FAN discount on my 1st gen iPhone voice only part of my bill?

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

no, the 1st gen iPhone never was and never will be eligible for FAN discounts. The iPhone 3G is eligible, but only for the voice portion (though some FAN numbers may apply to data, I don't know).
    Just look at your account online and you'll see what the discount applies to. For example on my iPhone 3G, it shows the original cost of my voice plan with a line through it and the updated cost after the discount

8. pianos101 macrumors regular

Wait. Where can you see the *actual* price you'll pay for voice and data, including FAN discounts. All i see is the regular voice/data plan rates that i'm on, though my FAN number has been on my account since last july... Just wondering, since i though those discounts only show up on the bill (which none of us have gotten yet).

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

hmm, that's odd... I just logged back into my account so I could tell you what to click, and now I don't see that anymore. After I requested the discount, I got an email later saying my discount had been applied and I logged in to look at my account. When you click "Rate Plan & Features" and then "View Rate Plan & Feature Detail", under Current Rate Plan it says
    Monthly Cost: $39.99

Now that's all it shows, but Friday, I know for a fact that $39.99 was marked out and it had another line below it showing $33.99 as my new monthly cost

10. pianos101 macrumors regular

Riiiiiight... ;) j/k i believe you. But i'm pretty sure that page should only show the "retail" price of the plan. Anyone else able to see their FAN discounted rate on their "view rate plan" page? care to take a screen shot?

I'll ask some people at work tomorrow who definitely have our FAN discount (non-iphones) and see what they say about this.... Just our luck....

11. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm new to AT&T, so when I saw it, I assumed that was normal. Maybe it's possible that it showed it temporarily to let me know that it was applied? I don't know, but I definitely know I saw it say $33.99 on there when I looked Friday

12. KD110 macrumors member

mine was there thursday, but was gone after getting my iPhone Friday