Final word on HD replacement for 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eVolcre, Jun 22, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I have a 7200 RPM 320 GB Scorpio Black drive with me. Ordered it last week. I know that the 500 GB 5400 RPM Scorpio Blue performs at the same or better level than the one I ordered.

I didn't need the large capacity and wanted only a 320 GB drive that I could back up using my 350 GB portable.

Seems like a lot of users are reporting vibration, noise and reduced battery life by installing the 7200 RPM drive in the new MBP13. Is that true? Should I return it and get the Scorpio BLue or is this something I won't notice in normal usage.

I can't stand noise - these machines are so silent that a hum or disc access noise would be distracting.

Does anyone have a positive experience with the 320GB Scorpio Black?

eV

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How about SSD and external? SSDs are quiet, energy efficient and runs very cool

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Too expensive. And I'd rather not carry an external around all the time. If I"m going the limited storage SSD route then I'd rather get the MBA

eV

4. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I had the WD Scorpio Black (320GB) in my SR MBP, and while I didn't notice noise, I could feel it in the palm rest. It didn't bother me but it was definitely there. My battery life was cut by about 15 minutes or so also. I now have the 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, and I can't feel it at all. Also the battery life hasn't changed that I've noticed (but this is in the 2.26 13" MBP). You do get a 5 year warranty with the WD Black line instead of the 3 year with the Blue though.

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks. You convinced me. I'll return the 7200 and get the Scorpio Blue 500GB.

Cheers,

eV

6. buckeye17 macrumors member

If the price difference isn't too large, I don't see why you wouldn't return the 320gb Black. The Blue has similar performance, and it's larger by 180gb*.

*1gb = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less. :)

7. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

True. It's 25 bucks more. I didn't want such a large drive in my laptop though. 320 gigs seemed enough and its easier to backup/clone to my external which is 350.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

In the 15 or so years that I've been using a computer, you are the first who has said they don't want a larger hard drive. Makes no sense. The form factor is identical and a drive that has a lot of empty space performs better. Even backing up to a smaller drive is not an issue, especially since you don't need a lot of space; your backups will be minimal. The only reason to get a smaller drive is to save money, but in your case, it's hardly worth it. Whatever.

9. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

I have 500GB Seagate 7200.4.

There is no additional vibration, no additional noise and no signs of decreased battery life compared to stock 250GB 5400rpm HDD.

10. mrj205 macrumors regular

There is no such thing as too much space. You could always create partitions. One ~350GB as primary and the other ~150GB as play space:D. That way you could still backup with your external.