Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotBrian?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Hello. I'm sorry that I'm posting this on 2 forums, but the digital one may get more responses. I am buying a new MacBook Pro for college, with some video editing planned. I have FC Studio 5.1, and the current FC Studio Upgrade pack, which I purchased for my iMac. Can I install the older 5.1 on the new Mac, so I can use the upgrade to the modern FC Pro? I'm concerned that the 5.1 might be too old... Thanks.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
you wont need to instal the older ver of Final cut studio on the new machine, you will just need the serial number from the older ver when you install the Final Cut Studio.

NotBrian?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Really? that would be nice. I thought the upgrade needed to access the older files and integrate with them.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The upgrade pack is a full install, it just doesn't come with a key. You have to supply one from when you originally bought FCS. Also, the FCS license allows you to install on one laptop and one desktop, so you can go ahead and install the upgrade pack on both machines, and give both your old key. It should work.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Oh, that's great news. I thought I could only use on one machine, but the license makes sense -- one laptop and one desktop. I will be installing mine soon on my laptop.

The upgrade pack is a full install, it just doesn't come with a key. You have to supply one from when you originally bought FCS. Also, the FCS license allows you to install on one laptop and one desktop, so you can go ahead and install the upgrade pack on both machines, and give both your old key. It should work.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, that's great news. I thought I could only use on one machine, but the license makes sense -- one laptop and one desktop. I will be installing mine soon on my laptop.

But also keep in mind that you will only be able to use one instance of FCP at a time. You can't have one running on the laptop while a copy is running on the desktop connected to the same network. It's Apple's implementation of copy protection.

NotBrian?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Thanks guys and gals. This is encouraging. As my computers will not be on the same network, or even in the same town, running 2 copies isn't a problem for me. Saving $1000 or so just before college expenses is a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.