Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vidit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
sk canada
Simple said I am hoping someone out there has been using final-cut pro with mackbook-pro 15" i5 version 2010 its has 5400 hd but can be ordered with a 7200Hd if that makes a difference. Versus final-cut pro using the Imac 21.5-inch:3.06GHz

I am trying to decide what to purchase between the two

I am already aware of the cliches: portability vs price vs storage etc.

Is one that much better for editing, rendering, etc than the other. Or any other feed back actual users may have??? Thank you very much! Rod

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Make sure you get a firewire 800 external hard drive to use as a scratch disc. You should be fine with either. Of course the ideal is a Mac Pro with two internal drives.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
Because the iMacs (except the i7 (not sure about the iMac i5)) all use laptop hardware I'd say the i5 as it is newer hardware and should be faster even at a lower clock speed. Also I think the graphics card is better too but not 100% sure. In the real world I'd say the MacBook pro is a little faster but has a smaller screen.

So either a big screen or portability and a little more speed. It's a hard one but I'd go for the iMac as the screen size really helps while editing. How about a MacBook pro i5 and an external screen when you can afford it?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
but what would be your pick? have you used finalcut on either one?

Neither. I would not use either machine for video editing as it's pretty intense. I'm too paranoid about frying drives and such, but that's me. I know a lot of people use both of them for editing.

But if you're going to use one, do the MBP for portability.

vidit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
sk canada
thanks for the info.. "but" is there anyone out there that has actually used used finalcut on either or''?

kimballc

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
vidit, I have used - as of late - the 15" Macbook Pro for full HD editing (Prores files derived from Sony NX Cam footage). The move to the Macbook Pro was necessitated by the NX cam footage not being editable on my old PowerMac G5.

My experience has been fairly trouble free, the MacBook Pro has been quick enough for small projects. I, too, am deciding now whether the MBP will work for longer form projects - I am about to begin a full-length doc and I may use my MBP pr invest in a new MacPro.

All in all, a MBP will do the work. For best results, use an external high speed drive and a larger display.

K.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Simple said I am hoping someone out there has been using final-cut pro with mackbook-pro 15" i5 version 2010 its has 5400 hd but can be ordered with a 7200Hd if that makes a difference. Versus final-cut pro using the Imac 21.5-inch:3.06GHz

I am trying to decide what to purchase between the two

I am already aware of the cliches: portability vs price vs storage etc.

Is one that much better for editing, rendering, etc than the other. Or any other feed back actual users may have??? Thank you very much! Rod

If you're going to use heavy 3rd party plugins/filters, both machines are way too slow. Personally, I'd save up for a Quad Core Core i7 iMac or one of those Mac Pro.

Else both machines are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.