Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
Nice. I do some of the same things on Sibelius, and actually work close to you! I'm the percussion director at Watchung Hills in Warren, NJ. I use Sibelius mostly for my middle school band and choir arrangements, though. It worked great last year when we wrote out instrument parts for Godspell. An unbelievable program! I would never switch to Finale at this point.

Thanks for the info. I had heard some people complain about how Sibelius ran on their mac.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by mahermusic
"I have found Sibelius a powerful and effective tool"

Michael Tilson Thomas
conductor & composer

Um.... I'd put a little more weight behind Thomas, then ..... Marsalis :)

"I have found Windows XP a powerful and effective tool."

Squire
MacRumors member

Hey, just kidding. What's wrong? Don't you dig Wynton? All jokes aside, I appreciate the comments. Hopefully, I'll be able to give Sibelius a go.

Squire

trptdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
Marsalis? .....oh, he's just some dude who won a Pulitzer for composition and plays circles around just about everyone.. not dissing MTT, just saying that it's about the final product, not the tool (except where macs are concerned) :)

BTW, when Sib. gets a scroll view, I'll take a second look, til then I gotta stick w/ Finale and pay the forced upgrade fee every year (I do a lot of collaborative work and all it takes is one person getting the upgrade to force everyone else to fork over the cash)

TTFN

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
"I have found Sibelius a powerful and effective tool"

Michael Tilson Thomas
conductor & composer

And I'd put a little more weight behind Warner Brothers and Berklee School of music who use Finale.

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Its Berklee COLLEGE of Music, and I'd put more weight behind Temple University's Esther Boyer College of Music over Berklee ANY DAY.

Temple, by the way, uses Sibelius.

Who the heck has ever hear of Temple....???!?!?

Oh, and PLEASE don't start with Warner Bros. I can tell they use Finale with all the mistakes in their scores and parts. Ives' "Second Symphony" and "The Wizard of Oz" are so chock full of lovelies that I have to stop a rehearsal just to fix notation errors.

Notation errors have NOTHING to do with the program used.

trptdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
"never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig"

folks, if we take a poll of people who make their living PRIMARILY from composition or orchestration, Finale is the clear market leader.... doesn't mean it's a superior app, but let's not make this a Sibelius infomercial..... there's enough of that drivel to wade through in the Finale forums.

BTW, Finale is still the superior app because of it's abiliy to do anything that you an think up to put on a page (sometime in a confusing, yet accurate, way)

IMHO, FWIW, etc.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Silly person, here are your answers:

1- Never heard of Temple University? You're only embarassing yourself. I'll let you alone on that one. (Might want to double-check your spelling of "heard". They teach College Composition at Temple as well...)

...You're out of your league on this one, buddy. Goodbye.

I once read that it is petty to point out spelling or grammatical errors on these forums. Even so, I have to admit, it is tempting at times. ;) I always hold back, though, because I know that everybody is bound to make the odd mistake. I suggest you exercise the same restraint for the same reason. (See below.)

At any rate, we all seem to be getting off topic. Ah, Finale 2004 for the Mac...right. So it seems that some people feel it's a good product while others swear by the rival program, Sibelius. I guess most people will have to demo both of them and decide which one they like better. That's what I plan on doing.

Have a great weekend.

Squire

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Yes, it MUST be IYHO, because, not only do we understand that Sibelius is FAR SUPERIOR to finale, Sibelius was carbonized for OS X a full TWO YEARS before finale.

"Dreamers never achieve"

PLEASE don't talk to us about finale being superior... in its OS 9 state. Not only is it making you look silly, but the reason Sibelius is on top is because finale STILL has not released a OS X version.

Reality hurts.

Oh please. True, Finale is late getting to OS X, but that is not what it is all about. Being able to do WHATEVER you want with your music is what it is about.

I still know people using Protools on OS 9. In fact, I recorded in a studio using Protools on a Mac 9500 under OS 9 this past MAY. Does it mean Protools sucks or is inferior because it doesn't run on OS X? Not at all.

I tried Sibelius in October when Coda missed their ship date. I found it lacking to Finale, and it was damn slow. It's ability to read midi files from Digital Performer was worse than Finale (I didn't think that was possible, but it is), and generating parts was a pain. Finale and TGTools is heaven for anyone serious about being productive. I can't see any way to get Sibelius to do what Finale does.

trptdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
Yes, it MUST be IYHO, because, not only do we understand that Sibelius is FAR SUPERIOR to finale, Sibelius was carbonized for OS X a full TWO YEARS before finale.

"Dreamers never achieve"

PLEASE don't talk to us about finale being superior... in its OS 9 state. Not only is it making you look silly, but the reason Sibelius is on top is because finale STILL has not released a OS X version.

Reality hurts.

so does Temple U offer any training in social skills..... I didn't think so....

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
It looks like the demo for Finale will be available next month. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

<Off topic: Hey, ericdano, do you mind if I send you a PM? I came across your name in a web search and I want to get your opinion on something.>

Squire

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
After you've written something, does Sibelius let you go back and edit it? Mac Forums does. ;) Bottom right corner.

You seem quite passionate about the program so I checked out their website. One thing I noticed was that you could only input via a MIDI device whereas Finale lets a brass or woodwind player input from a mic. So I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way to have your notation entered as you play a brass or woodwind instrument?

2) Have you (or anyone, for that matter) heard about the accuracy of this feature in Finale 2004? (It's called MicNotator.)

Thanks,

Squire

rrr

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2004
I still know people using Protools on OS 9. In fact, I recorded in a studio using Protools on a Mac 9500 under OS 9 this past MAY. Does it mean Protools sucks or is inferior because it doesn't run on OS X? Not at all.

ProTools does run on OS X.

http://www.digidesign.com

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Tough, ain't it? See, now when I brought home a demo copy of finale at MENC this past year, things were so awkward, and slow, that I found it counter-productive. I understood why all of the Music Colleges up in my area switched over to Sibelius. Sending the parts that I wrote to my .Mac website was faster (for some reason... should be the same), and the overall feel of finale was uninspiring. Sibelius reminds me more of the Mac itself... I can do ANYTHING that I need it to do, easier and faster!!!

Wait, you come off as the "authority" in previous posts, then now admit you had a DEMO copy. How long did you use it? 10 Minutes? Try the manual? Watch the demo videos? Didn't think so.

I own BOTH. Sibelius is collection virtual dust on my Hard Drive.

When you actually TRY to use Finale, then maybe you can come back and state your opinions. I tried to use Sibelius. I have 2 charts I wrote in it. And that was it. I was fighting the program left and right. I couldn't get it to format right, articulations were not right, etc. It was back to Finale after that.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by ericdano
Wait, you come off as the "authority" in previous posts, then now admit you had a DEMO copy. How long did you use it? 10 Minutes? Try the manual? Watch the demo videos? Didn't think so.

I own BOTH. Sibelius is collection virtual dust on my Hard Drive.

When you actually TRY to use Finale, then maybe you can come back and state your opinions. I tried to use Sibelius. I have 2 charts I wrote in it. And that was it. I was fighting the program left and right. I couldn't get it to format right, articulations were not right, etc. It was back to Finale after that.

I think what it comes down to is personal preference. At this point I don't think we can really say that one is better than the other. I used to use Finale, but switched when Sibelius 2 came out. I find the interface to be much easier and user friendly, and it does more than what I need it to do. Notation using either midi input or QWERTY keyboard is very simple and fast. But I have friends who swear by Finale, so it just depends on what you like, I guess. I do agree with the previous poster that using Sibelius is a lot like using a Mac. Very simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.