Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
The worse thing about WeatherEye so far has been the number of times I had to flick that darn year roller to get to my birthdate.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
This one looks nice, but without paying $5.99, I can't determine if it tells you where the current conditions it's reporting are actually coming from. This is one thing WeatherBug does right -- if the location you select doesn't report actual data, it tells gives you the closest place that does, and actually tells you where. This is truly basic stuff that amazingly few of these weather applications do.

Have to triple check but Fizz does that. It also gives you airport info for any weather delays. I also like that you can flick to another city. I also dislike the ads on Weathereye.

I work at a newspaper and we have affiliation with very good weather services and Fizz is consistent with them. Its alerts were also very helpful during the summer hurricanes.

I can see not wanting to pay for a weather app but Fizz is well worth it in my view. One of the best apps I've bought and I use it daily.

jsamuelson

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
This one looks nice, but without paying $5.99, I can't determine if it tells you where the current conditions it's reporting are actually coming from. This is one thing WeatherBug does right -- if the location you select doesn't report actual data, it tells gives you the closest place that does, and actually tells you where. This is truly basic stuff that amazingly few of these weather applications do.

Yes it does. There is a list of all reporting weather stations you can flick through for each weather location. I have 8 reporting stations for my location - although it has to be said some of them are hundreds of miles away...if you live a better country with more smaller weather stations you will get better results of course.

20081025-ksx9td135m1whu8p2ahbwrdetk.jpg

I was unconvinced the default weather app wasn't good enough for a while, but Fizz really is much better.

I particularly like the 2 day forecast which gives you morning, afternoon, evening and nigh forecasts for the next 24/48 hours.

20081025-m184p5tq2hemmqbikx6stg5qsw.jpg

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes it does. There is a list of all reporting weather stations you can flick through for each weather location. I have 8 reporting stations for my location - although it has to be said some of them are hundreds of miles away...if you live a better country with more smaller weather stations you will get better results of course.

Thanks for posting these screen shots. I'll have to give this one a closer look.

The official reporting sites in the US can also be a great many miles away from where you are, which is why it's so important to know where the data is coming from. That is, if you're really interested in this stuff or rely upon it in any serious way.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
This looks pretty good for a free app, but I just have a bookmarklet of http://i.wund.com/ on my homescreen and use that whenever I want to check the weather and check things out. It gives more info than the default weather app on the iPhone and does a nice job

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada
The app is smooth and it's nice that it actually supports the rest of the world that uses Celsius (versus the USA), but it's missing radar support.

I like Weatherbug, but the fact that it's stuck in Fahrenheit stinks. I personally *love* the way Weatherbug overlays radar information over Google maps, but that doesn't always work right for me either.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Accuweather has a pretty good website that's optimized for iPhone. Click the link to save to your home screen, so it functions like an app.
It's the only weather app that gives you precip and other info hourly. It also has animated weather. After you open it click the button in the upper right to switch from extended forecasts to hourly to radar. You can save multiple cities and switch to them using the switch button.

It's not a pretty website, but it presents a lot of info all the other apps are missing.
http://apple.accuweather.com/widget/iphone/index.asp
It has a nice icon for those of you that feel that's important.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Another vote for Fizz Weather. I've tried most of the ones at the App store and the combination of Fizz Weather and RadarScope does the job for me.

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
This looks pretty good for a free app, but I just have a bookmarklet of http://i.wund.com/ on my homescreen and use that whenever I want to check the weather and check things out. It gives more info than the default weather app on the iPhone and does a nice job

x100000

Killer webapp. Weather apps are useless to me without animated radar. What good is seeing a storm without knowing where it's headed?

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Fizz weather has animated weather, or the next best thing a loop for it and you can set the refresh rate on it as well. You have satellite, radar and Google.

I'm not a developer and have nothing to do with it other than being a very satisfied customer who's picky about weather apps.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Randman said:
Fizz weather has animated weather, or the next best thing a loop for it and you can set the refresh rate on it as well. You have satellite, radar and Google.

I'm not a developer and have nothing to do with it other than being a very satisfied customer who's picky about weather apps.

when you say google, what do you mean? Is the animated radar and satellite overlayed on the google map? What are the update times on the animations?

Thanks

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK

when you say google, what do you mean? Is the animated radar and satellite overlayed on the google map? What are the update times on the animations?

google just quits the weather app and brings up the google maps for the area as far as I can tell.

radar doesn't work anywhere I've been (you just get 'this location doesn't support radar') so it seems to be limited to certain places... haven't found a list anywhere of which places though.

The animation on the satellite view is 6 frames played in a continuous loop so you get some sense of direction, but it's more pretty than useful. For me it always shows a map of the entire UK.. I guess in the US it may show it by state.

There's also forecast view that's a traditional weather map as seen on TV. Again this is of the entire country - unfortunately there's no option to zoom into areas to get more detail

There's also an airport delay forecast that's actually quite useful.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You can only get weather radar where there is weather radar. Most of the US is covered by the NEXRAD system, which is what we see on these graphics.

arrow201

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
WeatherEye can give radar maps in a round about way for now until the
next version (at least that's what they say) ....if you press the
icon in the upperleft corner, this will take you to their mobile website
where you can view from there by clicking "maps"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.