Finally a HDD upgrade! What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bzollinger, Jul 17, 2009.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I'm finally upgrading the system drive in my PPC dual 2.0 G5. It's been running the stock 160GB sata drive from day one. The OS has been upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5.7, and one archive and re-install has been done recently all on the original build from 2005.

Today I purchased Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive to replace my system drive. I plan on doing a fresh install to 10.5 then re-installing all of the apps.

What kind of performance boost should I expect from this new, faster, larger HDD? Any experiences are welcome.

thanks,
    BZ

2. OZMP macrumors 6502

do a fresh install then use the migration utility, then repair permissions. that is my normal method.

Should boot quicker, open apps quicker etc. i run all fast drives, and keep my spare OEM drive for windoze when needed, or time machine when i am testing SL. I couldn't go back to OEM speed drives personally. my drives are 120mb/sec and the new 7200.12 1tb drives are 160mb/sec so thinking i might grab a pair of those shortly!

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I usually run drives in RAID, but I do test them out as single disks as well first.

Given what you've had, I think you'll be quite happy. :D Drive throughput has come a good ways since your G5 was new. :eek: :p

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

For certain! I can't wait to compare my Hitachi drive with the Samsung in the mail; especially in random I/Os.:p

5. OZMP macrumors 6502

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Samsung HD103UJ

On hindsight, the HE103UJ may have been a slightly better idea; at the time I ordered, it wasn't at the Egg. Now its there with a free 500GB drive as a freebie.

All that I know is that it should perform much better, and The Price Was Right.

7. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Do you plan to put more of them into a RAID?
    Otherwise the HD is absolutely the right decision.

I opened up this thread some days ago concerning the Samsung you´ve ordered.

Still thinking about going HE or HD for RAID0. Price in Germany is 153 Dollar vs 95 Dollar.

8. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This is the HDD I ordered. From the reviews I've read it's "all around" fast and I've had good luck with Western Digital. The price was $89 and it's got a five year warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Black-WD1001FALS/dp/B001C271MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248024179&sr=8-1

9. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Do you run raid 1 or 0?

10. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I didn't think about this method, but I like it! Thanks for the tip.:D

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

No, no RAID for the drive - just a system drive. I don't think I'll be using over a Terabyte for boot/apps :p Thread's a good read as well.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

RAID 5, as I wanted some redundancy with high throughputs. :D

13. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I ended buying a retail version of the WD caviar black 1TB drives based on all the bad experiences people are having w/ Amazon's poor packaging with the OEM version. It was $20 more, but worth it.

Anyway, it's installed and once I figured out that the new drive had to be formatted by OSX first before booting to the install disk everything went smooth.

It was EXTREMLY easy to install and migrate everything over. I was kind of hoping I'd do the application installs manually so that I could install just what I needed, but it was too tempting to have it all done w/o any intervention!

And most importantly the new hard drive is signifcantly faster!!

Any other post install tasks you can suggest? I removed a bunch of unused applications, and did a permissions repair, and am on the second update.

thanks for the input and advice!
    BZ