Finally a mini 1.42 G4 owner

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacHamster68, May 1, 2010.

1. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Hell, i bought today a nice cute Mini G4 1.42 ghz, 80gb HDD,1GB ram 32mb Vram graphic

really nice little computer and i cant hear any fan running and still it runs cooler then my eMacs , i must say compare to the dell zino the mini G4 is definitely ultra quiet and looks better too , i can compare them side by side
    ...as long as i dont put a dvd /cd in it to read or write , because then the hell breaks lose , never expected a optical drive to make so much noise , i first thought they fitted a shredder inside , but the cd's /dvd's come out again fine without any scratches :D but i can definitely hear every bit the mini is reading from dvd or writing on :D

but i am happy with it

and here the geekbench score http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/247223 ...not bad for such a small Mac

2. LowEnder macrumors member

congratulations on the mini...have great fun with it

3. MacHamster68 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am truely converted now even bought today a 22inch !!!!! lcd monitor for the mini ..me and a 22 inch lcd ... thats like the pope hanging all crucifixes upside down in the vatican and starting to pray to satan :D

4. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi MacHamster again,
    congrads for your new aquirements, hope you'll be really happy.
    I have 2 Minis myself, so my previous post was only to show you how fast the new Phenom X6 hexa-core is...(compared to the G4).

5. MacHamster68 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes its quiet funny to see how good these intel i7 are compared to a six core phenom :D so with a phenom you get more power for less money

which brings us back to my new old mini g4 (you just cant see the age looks like fresh out of the factory ), it offers all the power i ever need ,and cost less then half of a used intel mini :D

6. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

The G4 Mini is still a great computer. It may choke a little on HD video or flash, and a current AMD chip maybe be a gazillion times faster, but most of the time you'll never notice. And very low power use, you can just leave it on and don't worry about it. Eventually the hard drive will go, but mine hasn't yet (though it doesn't get a lot of use anymore), and it can be replaced.

7. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Stan Mikulenka

Congrats OP on your new Mac. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

8. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I have the same mini and an intel one. Both great little machines. Have fun and enjoy. ;)

9. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase. I just got a iMac G4 from a friend for free! Only needs a keyboard. I'm not sure what to do with it but couldn't resist it for free.

10. MacHamster68 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i too would take a iMac g4 for free :D
    get the harman kardon soundsticks and sub for it place it in the living room as i itunes server and for general surfing and emailing , the iMac g4 is not only a a computer its a piece of apple history and a design icon and therefore should be well placed in the living room for everybody to see that you got taste ;)

11. TXbug macrumors member

TXbug

The Mac Minni 1.42 GHz with the 80 GB HHD is a great little machine. I have one, bought it when Mac Mini first came out.

Only problem I had was I ran out of disk space. I bought a 320 GB. Used SuperDuper! to transfer the contents of the 80 GB drive to the 320 GB drive and swapped drives in the unit. Now I have lots of room and a faster drive.

SuperDuper! makes the cloned drive bootable.

12. zildjansg macrumors 6502

Congrats on your purchase!I have the same mac mini 1.42 also prior to my mini intel 1.83,but up until now still on repair.:( im losing hope already,but i'll not give up until i will restore that one little reliable machine.hehe

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

your next step will be an Intel Mac :D

14. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Have fun with it. They are good little machines!