Finally, a real Mac.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by iMpathetic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, I've basically been living a lie on a 3.4GHz quad-core Hackintosh, and while it IS really fast, I miss the white plastic and OS X Tiger. Luckily, as an exchange for installing an optical drive in a ThinkPad, look what I got!

-- 700MHz eMac G4
    -- 512MB RAM (had 128, but dang am I lucky to have a RAM box)
    -- 200GB HDD (took apart an external hard drive)
    -- Combo
    -- Fresh install of 10.4.11

Here's a pic! Quote from stepmother: "It looks friendly, so you can keep it in the living room."

Attached Files:

2. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Awesome congrats!
    I miss my old 1Ghz eMac,with 1GB ram,and a 120GB HD and superdrive,that thing was amazing with OS X Leopard.

3. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

What's nice is that these things are almost worthless. I saw a 1.42GHz model with 2GB memory in great shape with AirPort go for like $175 on eBay. If that's not undervalued, I don't know what is. :D

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'd like to get another one,right now I have my 867Mhz PowerMac G4 QS,with 1GB ram,and 2 120GB HD's,Superdrive,airport,and I have 10.4.11 Tiger and 10.5.8 running on the seperate drives. :)
    Although,I traded my eMac for 2 PowerBook G4 Titaniums,both were 1Ghz machines too,not too bad a trade.

5. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

a) What was the person you traded with smoking? :eek:

b) do you still have a TiBook? <borat>VERY NICE HOW MUCH</borat>

6. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Both PowerBooks had dead screens though,one was a dead backlight,one was a cracked screen,but I sold both of them for my MacBook Unibody white I have now.I still have my PowerMac though and never plan on selling it as it is still a great machine.

7. coupdetat macrumors 6502

I loved the screen on my eMac. It was a really useful computer for everyday stuff and movies. I've since moved on to an iMac G5 though :)

8. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

9. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I still have no idea what do do with it. Any suggestions, guys? Maybe pick up one of those $20 USB wifi things on eBay?

10. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Um if your eMac has Airport,it's either a Airport card or Airport Extreme,mine was airport extreme but since yours is a 700Mhz I'm pretty sure it's airport,how to get to it you have to open your optical drive door,and there should be a little plastic piece with 2 screws holding it in above the optical drive,remove the screws and the plastic piece and there should be an antenna and a slot for an airport card.I believe anyways. :)

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

You should just play music and picture slide shows on it. That's how I still use my iMac G4. It's too pretty to just go unused.

Congrats, BTW.

12. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

I did that for my Bondi iMac and its working a treat as a kitchen pc, mostly streaming radio.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Just get the actual AirPort card for it. They've gotten super cheap now, and I've outfitted every AirPort capable Mac I own with one. The last 2 I got were under $20 shipped, so its really not worth going with one of those USB WIFI things anymore.

14. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oh really? I used to be able to rob people blind on CL by putting airport in the ad title. :D well that's good, thanks!

15. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

First, update your sig! :p I love eMacs. Except carrying one up three flights of stairs but if i were you i would use it for movies or music. They have excellent screens. I had an 800Mhz and the screen was so nice.
    Enjoy!

16. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

good ole emac! All you need is a matching white keyboard and mouse :)

17. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

Now you've got me looking at eMacs on eBay. Just took delivery of my Powerbook G4 12" this morning. I need help.

18. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

If you don't mind me askin, what were the specs of the PB and how much did it set you back?

19. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I know.. with Apple products, the feeling of "needing" something can be very strong :eek::D

20. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

Not at all - 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM and a 40gb HDD. Running 10.4.11. Machine is in excellent condition, clearly looked after and the battery still giving over 3 hours on a full charge.

Paid a little over £200 for it in a charity auction. So therefore, I am doing good works :)

Going rate on eBay Uk seems to be £200-300 depending on condition and specs.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I would love a 12" PB as an extra machine. "drools"

22. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

even though it's not exactly the same, I spent over two years with a 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4 and loved it, even though the little thing got pretty slow by the last six months or so, despite repeated reinstalls.

23. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes your mom's right they look friendly and somehow i always feel the urge to cuddle it ...what you could do is give him a little friend ..a snowy iMac g3 on its side so he does not feel alone if you are not around :)

you can do everything with it ..not necessary flashplayer things , but anything else like looking up emails ,surfing :ebay, this forum ,google, store mp3 on it , office work ,pictures , you even can edit pictures with a earlier version of photoshop ,watch dvd's ...
    you will be surprised what you still can do with the eMac :)

24. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Damn that thing looks just amazing! If I were you, I would just admire it lol, but that's just how I am.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

damn man.. thats awsome.

i bet its pretty speedy too!!!!

lucky you.