FINALLY, a sim for travel in Japan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

I have had some past discussions about this on MR and finally there is an option out there.

Japan has been a tough place for travelers to obtain a sim card. Cell companies just dont offer them to non-residents so the only options have been expensive pocket wifi devices. Additionally, if one were to purchase an iPad in a foreign country, Japanese cell providers would not allow you to obtain a sim from them for your iDevice- even if your are a resident. Although I have heard of a select few getting a sim, namely at electronic shops located in arcades in Osaka, the likelihood of being successful is slim to none.

If , like me, you travel or live in Japan and have a 3g/4g iPad bought in a foreign country and haven't been successfully in obtaining a sim, your adventure is over.

There is a company called econnect Japan. They offer sims for all iPad versions and models. The sim costs 4,800 yen for 1gb per 30 days. Although this is a bit expensive, it is a great option for travelers. Lastly, the service is through DocoMo and regardless of your iDevice, you can only get 3G service.

Happy Travels,

CFS

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

Bookmarked, thanks

I hope they will have SIM card for iPad 3 in the future.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

They do. I'm using it now. You just can't get 4G speeds.

4. EldoInTheWeeds macrumors member

5. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow. Thanks. I never knew this existed. This is. Another good option but it has it's downsides. The first is that you can only get it in the airport and the asoftbank stand may be closed when you are there, or you may not have enough time I you connecting flights. If this happens then the traveler is out of luck. Also I read this on their website:

-The data communication (e.g. web browsing, web based email, packet communication etc.) charge is 0.32 yen/packet(128bytes) and this charge is capped at 1,500 yen per day.

-Data cap plan does not cover rental fee, voice calls, video calls, SMS, S!Mail(MMS), International SMS, or International S!Mail(MMS).

-The iPhone 4/4S micro SIM cannot be used in iPad or any other tablet PC.

After eating this I'm not sure how cost effective this option is and it would be ingesting if any travelers have big an iPhone and iPad and have tried to use the sim in the iPad. No idea why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the find. Nice to know options are opening up,

CFS

6. mark17820 macrumors newbie

I know this is in the iPad forum, but I will be studying abroad in Japan in August and I have been looking for a way to get a sim card for my iPhone 4S (unfortunately I only have the wifi iPad so I can't use it around much). Does anyone know of a way that I can get a sim card to use while I am there for relatively cheap?

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ill ask some friends but you can start by looking a the above links provided I'm this thread. These ate pretty good options considering Japan doesn't hand out sims at local cell shops.

CFS

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

9. mark17820 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Hopefully there's something out there!

10. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's definetley something out there. econnect Japan has sims for iPhones. Check out the link above.