Finally able to use MotoRokr T-505 with iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aveda6, Jul 27, 2008.

1. aveda6 macrumors newbie

I wanted to share a successful story in trying to use an (almost) handsfree setup in my vehicle with the new iPhone 3G. My basic hope was to be able to stream music from the iPhone through my car stereo system while at the same time use a handsfree mic and the car speakers for answering phone calls.

In researching the products currently on the market it looked like the Motorokr T505 would be a great fit. Unfortunately, and as I'm sure most people are aware, this product will work for the phone portion (listening to calls through the speakers and using the built in mic for speaking) but the iPhone cannot send music to the device through the internal bluetooth setup in the iPhone (no A2DP file support).

After looking around at a few stores I found a Sony bluetooth adapter for the iPod. This unit connects to the bottom of any newer generation iPod and sends the music out through a bluetooth signal. It's relatively compact and is powered directly via the iPhone. After speaking with the tech people at the Sony store most of them were convinced it would not work, but I decided to give it a try.

When setting up, all I had to do was turn the Iphone bluetooth antenna on, turn the motorokr on (it pairs automatically and doesn't require a passcode) and then plug the sony adapter into the bottom of the iPhone.

It turns out that the motorokr unit can pick up both bluetooth signals simultaneously. After setting the appropriate FM channel (the moto has a voice that tells you which channel to use) I started the music on the iPhone and it worked perfectly. The sound was fine, no crackling or static. I was even able to pause, skip and reverse songs from the motorockr unit.

I then had my parents call me and as soon as the phone starts ringing, the music pauses, the moto unit tells you the phone number of the person calling (talking caller ID) and then you hit the phone button on the moto to pick up the call. The call sound was excellent. My parents noted a slight echo but nothing of concern. As soon as the call ended the music started back up where it left off.

The only downsides of this are: 1. cost (the two pieces together can be 150 - 200 depending on where you purchase them) 2. you can't charge the iphone while playing the music (you take up the connection with the adapter) and 3. if you want to call someone you still need to dial with the phone as voice dialing is still not an option on the iphone

Overall, very happy and a very easy setup.

2. modemlady macrumors newbie

MotoRokr T-505 with iPhone 3g

I just got MotoRokr T 505 and the Sony Dongle.
    I can get the phone to work through the radio, but am unable to get music to stream through the radio.
    The post states to turn on iphone antenna....how do you do this?????

The sony dongle works great with the motorola bluetooth s9.

Thanks for any help.

3. Lincoln05 macrumors newbie

Streaming music through Motorokr and Sony Dongle

I am having the same issue. Did you figure out how to turn on your iphone antenna? I would like to stream my iphone music to the Motorokr.

Thanks.

4. modemlady macrumors newbie

Motorola

I have never been able to get the music to work through the radio.
    I have played with turning bluetooth on and off, resyncing,
    turning the radio on with the dongle already attached, unattached and attaching it after the radio is on, etc, etc.

I only bought the combination because of the original post here. Otherwise I could have bought the cheaper Motorola speakerphone and cheaper dongle.

I also find that if I use the speakerphone through the radio, I get static.

It's a good alternative to the one piece ear piece in the car since I don't like driving with it and usually forget to charge it.

The dongle does work with the motoroal stereo bluetooth headset S9.
    I read lots of reviews about the headsets and decided to try it, It synced automatically with the sony dongle and works great!

5. Lincoln05 macrumors newbie

I have discovered how to sync my Motorokr T505 to the Sony bluetooth adapter

Thanks,

By accident, I figured out how to sync my Sony bluetooth adapter to my I phone 3G. My Iphone had been synced to my Motorokr T505, therefore the sony adapter would not work. What I did, was I went into my Iphone settings unpaired my the T505 by turning the Bluetooth to off. Turned off the T505. Then I connected the Sony adapter to my Iphone and then turned the T505 back on. You need to answer no to question that pops up.

I then turned on my itunes and I was getting music through the T505 speaker. I then pushed the FM button on the T505 and it told me what station to tune to. Success! I am receiving a very clear signal on 90.9 FM. Very little distortion. I do hear a little hiss in between songs but during the song I can't detect it over normal road noise.

I hope that works for you. Good Luck!

6. modemlady macrumors newbie

:)

Thanks for your reply. I tried exactly how you have posted and still no luck.
    I can't even get the music to play through the motorola without stereo.

The voice over the radio works...

I just wonder is somewhere on the iphone itself, I have something set differently?

Also, when I connect the motorola s9 stereo headphone, it doesn't appear on bluetooth as a pair, but works great.

7. pfundy23 macrumors newbie

I Need Help!

I got both the Sony Dongle and the t505 They are working great to play the Music/Calls through the Stereo but How to I make Voice dialed calls and Voicemail and stuff It just keeps saying if you need to Enter 0000 into your phone But They are paired already

8. NokiaMotorola macrumors newbie

Nokia95 8GB sync to Motorola T505

I can not for the life of me get my Nokia to sync with my T505, can anyone help me out??

9. ra108 macrumors newbie

Aveda6,

Can you please share with me the model of the Sony bluetooth adapter that you bought. One of the main reasons I bought the Motorola T505 was to listen to podcasts on my iPhone.

Thanks.

ra108

10. sauciangie macrumors newbie

What about 3Gs?

Do you still need that extra part from Sony with the 3Gs???