iPhone XS Max Finally able to use my phone as a nightstand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marlman, Dec 14, 2018.

1. marlman macrumors regular

marlman

I bought an Anker Wireless Charger stand awhile ago hoping to use my phone to replace my bedside clock.

But was never happy with the apps that i found until i discovered the Oledx app on YouTube links below.

Also i made a shortcut that turns on the app starts do not disturb and adjusts the brightness to a level that i like.

Then in the morning another shortcut to turn brightness back up to normal and also start the first app i always open which is News

There is a note on the help page that it does something with changing pixels for anybody worried about screen burn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Qi-C...800201&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+wireless+charger

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

An always on display might result in burn in. Make sure pixel shifting is in place.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I've used Alarm Clock for Me since 2012 (when it was called My Alarm Clock).

2018-12-14 10.01.19.png

My iPhone sits sideways in a business card holder connected to power with the screen on all night. The app has the ability to "never lock the screen" when running but in settings I have Autolock set to "Never" anyway. Pretty easy then to keep the screen on all night.

2018-12-14 10.03.43.png

I've had every smartphone I've owned since 2009 acting as my alarm clock with the screen on all night. Never been an issue.

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I thought you had a LCD screen iPhone.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Even with pixel shifting I’d think that leaving your iPhone on all night will accelerate the wear on your screen. But if you know you’re going to upgrade in a year I guess it’s no big deal.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, I do. Was just responding to the fact about using the phone as a nightstand clock in general.

7. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Galaxys have been doing it for a few years now

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they are the prime example of why you wouldn’t want to do that. Samsung AMOLEDS get dimmer over time and are prone to burn in. I’m talking over two or more years.

9. now i see it macrumors 68040

Behold the $750 (or $1200) clock.
    Using any app that runs full time pulls power out of the battery that the charger has to replace. That adds up to a lot of battery cycles.

To see how much juice the clock app is sucking out of your battery's life span, start one night at 100% and then let it run as usual without the power connected. See what your battery level is in the morning. I bet its dead.

Plugging an iPhone into power doesn't free you from battery cycles. Everything on the iPhone runs on the battery and the charger has to fill it back up. Cycles.
    The more cycles you do, the faster the battery wears out. There's no escape.

Even worse, all that cycling while on the alarm clock app is up near 100% charge level, which is the worst. Fastest wear

If you care about the battery (and screen) in your iPhone, don't use clock apps. Get a $25 clock at Walmart.

10. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Samsung’s doesn’t get burn in from it. It moves around on the screen.

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

True the clock does move around the screen. I guess apple can do that as long as they see it as a “worthy “feature.

12. Farsider macrumors 6502a

Farsider

iOS does a lot of CPU intensive activities whilst its asleep overnight on charge (photo image recognition, facial recognition, backups, housekeeping etc). These are all CPU & battery intensive activities so I don’t see how a little clock app that barely lights up the screen is going to add much on top of this.