Finally an iPad replacement?

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
With the battery life now on par with that of the ipad, is the MBA finally a good ipad replacement for those who find the ipad a little restrictive and want a full OS?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Not necessarily. There are still a ton of situations where the iPad is ideal due to its formfactor, but the Air's additional battery is definitely a plus. It really comes down to what you are using the device for.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
It definitely murk the picture. More batt for Air, More laptop-like App for the iPad.

milhouse994

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This was certainly a key factor in me buying one. I have a old 5 year old iMac which has been my main computer and an iPad2 which I originally bought as a portable solution. I love the iPad and it's great for consuming content (i.e.: watching video, surfing, reading emails etc) but it's not great for creating content. Whenever I travel and take it with me I always end up using a friends laptop for writing emails longer than a paragraph or two, sure I could buy a Bluetooth keyboard for it, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

The MBA is going to replace the iMac as my main computer but also be a great solution for travel. I'll still probably use the iPad for watching films on longs flights and for couch surfing (i'd like to even replace it with a iPad Mini for even greater portability) but the MBA will definitely take on more of the tasks I originally bought the iPad for.