Finally an iPhone that doesn't get its Apple logo scratched up like crazy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayLenochiniMac, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All the iPhones I've had since 2007 got their Apple logo scratched up within a matter of hours (yes, I wear mine naked), but not the iPhone 4. A scratched up Apple logo is always an eyesore and way more noticeable than any imperfections/scratches in the aluminum or plastic back. You even run the risk of scratching it when putting on a case with the older models.

Obviously it doesn't matter to those of you who keep your iPhone in a case, but it's finally nice to have an iPhone where you don't have to worry about scratching the Apple logo like crazy.

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Best suggestion, seriously: get some clear protector or something on it, because more and more people are making reports of easily scratching/scraping/gouging/nicking the glass, both front and back, on the iPhone 4.

You may not have had an issue yet, but... why take a chance?

3. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

No thanks. The oleophobic coating works too well and the clear protector would make it all smudgy. I haven't had any noticeable scratches on the screen of my 3GS after a year of use and there's no reason to expect any different for the iPhone 4.

It's going to be replaced again in a year so I'll take my chance and enjoy it naked.

4. untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

I still have the Iphone 2G. My best efforts to avoid the scratchmarks went in vain when I stopped using the rubber case for my Iphone. (It was a pain getting it in and out of my pocket.)

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I'll keep an eye on this one in the hopes that I don't see you (potentially) create any "Oh crap, my iPhone 4 is scratched" threads... good luck. ;)

6. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

For me, the jury is still out on whether the back will get scuffed up. Since I use my phone "naked" and sometimes lay it down on a desk or table, I guess I'll find out.

On the other hand, I consider my phone a tool, not a fashion accessory, so as long as it works properly (which it does for me) and the front glass doesn't get scratched up, I'll be satisfied.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Actually, most screen protectors are also oleophobic and definitely more scratch resistant than your iPhone 4 screen.

Just sayin.

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

If only you could spray something on any cell phone display/glass and get this kind of damage protection:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/dell-streaks-gorilla-glass-screen-torture-tested-for-your-amus/

I know people like shooting their iPhones to make a point, throw 'em, toss 'em off buildings, run over 'em with cars/trucks/etc, even try and damage them with car keys, knives, razors, etc.

But I can't wait to find someone willing to do that type of damage resistance with an iPhone 4. If I tried that with this iPhone 4 I have sitting here, I swear, I honestly believe it would shatter on the first impact... :(

Anyone? Anyone? :D

9. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

If iShieldz (which is on my wife's 3GS) is supposed to be oleophobic, it definitely gets more smudgy than naked oleophobic screen of 3GS.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Fair enough. However, I did say most. Brands like Ghost Armor and Wrapsol are naturally oleophobic. And if any prints or smudges do get on the screen, it's just as easily wiped off. If you want a really, really nice one... I suggest:

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/0_21_28_89/products_id/1451

;) But hey, it's your phone and your experience. If you don't want one, don't do it! :D

11. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks for the suggestion. I've really a fan of the oleophobic coating.

12. st1ngo macrumors member

I have a phobia about pleophobic

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

No problem. I think you'll really like that screen protector, in that case. ;)

14. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

The iPhone 4 is also Gorilla Glass, according to iFixit. I'd like to see such a test on the iPhone too. :)

15. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

iFixit can't directly confirm the front screen is Gorilla glass. They've backtracked on their claim and now says the front glass panel is "reported" to use Gorilla glass. They've said nothing about the back glass, but Apple site says the iPhone has "two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass--the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic."

16. im2bnvd macrumors newbie

ishieldz

Absolutely LOVING the iShieldz screen and back protector. Relatively easy installation and flawless visibly. I didn't want to put some case on this thing and take away from it's beauty and sleekness ... iShieldz is a great alternative to a case. Just thought I'd share ...

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I agree with you. I also had the 3GS for a year, and now the 3GS. The logo of the 3GS scratched really easy, but on the i4 not. Besides that, scratches on the iPhone 4 are not as noticable as on a 3GS. If there are scratches, you won't see them unless you look for them.

Mine i4 is naked, and if you look carefully at the back you see some scratches but you don't see them if you don't look for them. I should note I dropped my iPhone 4 several times (it was a Dutch launch model (so 31st of July)) and it still works perfectly fine, without any noticable scratches. There are no scratches at the screen itself (only on the back a few, which are not noticable as I said).

iPhone 4 is much more scratch resistant, yeah!

18. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I hated that screen protector and within a month it had small scratches all over it. I've since been rocking my phone without a screen protector and it feels waaaay better and has ZERO scratches....

19. utneon macrumors regular

i'm against using a case on iphone because it takes away all the design and makes it bigger. the screen protectors are also bad for high definition screen.

but i do respect those who use a case, anyway, i have never dropped an iPhone in my life since the iphone was released back in 2007 neither i have used a case=P

if it drops... well, just repair it :) it's worth the risk for me. i switch iphone every 2 years, i purchased my iphone 4 this last week, it was faulty so i'm waiting for a new one lolol

20. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502